Thread: Belt tension handle jammed

Belt tension handle jammed

Hi all,

Anyone had the problem of the drill press belt tension handle become stuck?

I had left the DP on lowest speed forever (belts naturally really tight), and didnt need to fool w it, but recently discovered the dysfunction.

I dunno, it just got to where its like locked down, won't move but a degree or so, hard stop.

This afternoon, took the retainer ring off:

Belt Tension Handle.jpg

So, when I took that little retainer ring off that you see on the handle, the handle moves right/left (in/out of housing) a half inch or so, but still does not engage the middle pulley in the belt housing.

I cannot see how to get the upper housing off to get a look @ the innards of all that.

Presenting, the manual:

Craftsman DP.jpg

The schematic is tiny, and does not show how parts move and all that.

Help! Something easy/simple?
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Have you tried moving the handle in the opposite direction? DAMHIKT!

Yep.......
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

The belt tension lock knob (the red knob in your picture) need to be turned counterclockwise. There should be one on both sides. Did you make sure to turn both of them?

Of course.

I found two screws to remove from the top 'pulley-belt' area-they were really short and their removal had no effect.

Three other screws in there simply hold on brackets

I got my HF gear puller out, and pulled off the front belt-pulley-gear (can you tell I have no idea what I'm doing?), and as I took off/relaxed the gear-puller, the gear simply settled back down.

It was late, I'm tired and up on a step stool w a bad leg-so I just let it back down, hoping someone will eventually supply some meaningful input. Please?
    David

Blog Entries
    My 17" Delta drill press uses the same system I believe. The red handled t-screws(?) need to be loosened on both sides, mine are black, one just behind the chrome handle where your red one is and one on the other side of the head casting. These lock the rods that the motor bracket is attached to. On my 17-950 the chrome handle moves the motor/rods in and out of the head in order to loosen the belt tension. It looks like this is explained on pages 8 and 14 of your manual.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 06-19-2018 at 7:59 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Just weak, not a complete idiot

So, was sitting here and looking around about this problem on www.

The motor (with the far gear on it's axle) actually moves away/toward other gears....sounded familiar.

So I went down to the shop, and examined all the stuff w a more open mind.

Played around w the lever, and wound up pushing on it very very hard, a lot harder than I remember doing it years ago.

It moved-applause here.

All is good. Probably could use some grease-but that is another day.

I would much rather be humbled and embarrassed than an expensive problem

Thanks.
    David

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ragan View Post
    I would much rather be humbled and embarrassed than an expensive problem

Thanks.
    Amen to that. No need for embarrassment. When I ask questions here I will take a good answer in any form. Glad I got a chance to give back a little bit.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

No need to feel humbled though I haven't done anything like this......TODAY!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Solution

Hi All,

In regards to my issues w this little lever, this here is my solution:

Leverage.jpg

Works great.
    David