Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chinese Equipment

you had a big source of paper in Hemp but late night radio said a particular family who might have a castle near LA had it made illegal by buddies in congress, they owned tons of land and didnt want anything threatening their source of pulp and paper.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    US Tariffs on average are something like 60% of the average foreign tariff so it is time to look at the system. In my town we produce paper and cranberries. Europe imposes a 22% tariff on our cranberry products. Eu can't grow their own so its not like they are protecting their own industry. Our paper mills were shutting down and sitting idle due to the influx of Chinese paper. Recently a mill was bought by Nine Dragons, a large Chinese company who is putting a lot of money back into it. The reason is fear of tariffs on Chinese paper. There will be winners and losers short term but the goal should be long term. Other countries tend to be better at the long view. Dave
    I have to doubt that China has sustainable yield forestry practices to allow paper production to continue for decades at the current rate. Of course they may be using bamboo for raw materials. I would assume clearcut logging leading to widespread deforrestation and then centuries to get production back to sustainable levels.
    Does Wisconsin have second growth forests that are big enough to resume logging?
    Bill D.

I believe the Chinese import a lot of their pulp. The pulp industry in Wisconsin was always a key reason that coated paper was made here due to the quality of the trees and the near location. Dave

I wonder if Grizzly is going to be pushing really hard for their backordered tools to get shipped. I suspect that with a 25% tariff they will loose a number of orders unless orders placed before the date the tariff starts are exempt. I'm also curious to see just how much of an impact it will have on Taiwanese equipment. How will the tariffs handle equipment made elsewhere but with parts from China?

Do you have a link to the list?? Thank you

As written, the relevant date is the date of arrival of the import at the US port of entry. Probably too late to get a booking for a sea shipment. Air will do if it is affordable. It does not matter when the contract was signed, or the order placed.

Made in USA, or Made in China, or Made in Taiwan or wherever is hard to get a handle on. I have tried a number of times to get a workable definition without much success. I am in plastics. Is it where the oil or natural gas came from to make the petrochemical which becomes the plastic, which becomes a molding for use in an auto? The same with machinery. Is it the origin of the steel or the value added in making components, or....?

If anyone out there knows I would like to hear from you. Rich

Matt, No link, but if you go to the USTR website the detail is available in their June 16 press release which includes links to the 38 page (at 30 to the page) list of codes that are either subject to the tariff, or being considered. If needed I can email the list(s) to you. Rich