Thread: Behlen Rockhard Waterborne Review

Behlen Rockhard Waterborne Review

To recap from an old post, putting a finish on a white oak kitchen island top. Had decided on Arm-R-Seal, but saw the Behlen on sale so I thought I'd try it. Put 5 coats each side by side on an extra board, scuff sanding with a 400 sponge between coats and waiting 24hr on the ARS, 1-1/2hr on the Behlen. Let the Behlen cure 3 days per the can. Color: The Behlen warmed it up a bit, but not much. I wiped a bare spot next to it with a damp rag and it looked about the same. It's an acrylic so I'll just say you wouldn't mistake it for an oil based finish. Durability: Not concerned about the ARS so just looked at the Behlen. Put a tsp of water on it and waited 1 hr(no damage). Put a tsp of a decent Pinot Grigio(the wife's) on it and waited 1 hr(no damage). Put a coffee mug full of boiling water on it and let it sit 10 min(no damage). Finally I dropped a set of keys on it from about 1 ft 6-7 times. Slight marks as expected(it is wood) but you'd have to get your nose down there to see them. Going with the ARS.
    Last edited by Bruce Russell; 06-16-2018 at 7:09 PM.

Thanks for the input, Bruce.

Most water borne finishes need "extra help" when it comes to warming the color...it's the nature of the beast and easy to accomplish, either by using something like shellac first, a dye on the wood, a dye in the finish, etc. There are some water borne finishes that are exceptions, of course.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yeah, a little trans-tint might warm it up, but the Arm-R-Seal looks so good, why? That said, just doing that sample board with the ARS I got a pretty good buzz. All the windows were open but, ugh. I guess I'll get used to it.