Thread: Looking for tabletop attachment hardware like this

Looking for tabletop attachment hardware like this

I'm looking for tabletop attachment hardware similar to what I've drawn.
    I imagine it would be about the size of a figure-8, but with and elongated second hole to allow for movement across the width of the tabletop.

IMG_7152.jpg

Has anyone seen something like this?
    I've searched online extensively but haven't found anything.

Any leads very much appreciated.

thanks, Mark

edit: - sorry about the misspelling in the title. Should read "hardware", obviously.

I haven’t seen that, but you can do the job with wood. The usual approach has mortises into the apron, or a dado run the whole length of the apron. There’s little pieces of wood that get screwed to the table top, with the tip sticking into the mortise or dado. There’s no glue, and the tip can slide in or out to accommodate wood movement.

You can also use the same wood attachment means on the aprons that run the other way, where you could use the metal figure-8 you mention.
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 06-16-2018 at 11:16 PM.

Can't remember what it is called, but there are attachment plates shaped like a figure 8 for attaching table tops,

Edit: Oops, never mind. Misread the post.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 06-17-2018 at 3:54 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

You could try making some yourself out of steel or aluminum stock. The slots can be cut pretty effectively with a dremel and one of their small cut off wheels. But if you need a bunch of brackets then forget about it because those wheels don’t last long and it would start to feel like work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    I haven’t seen that, but you can do the job with wood. The usual approach has mortises into the apron, or a dado run the whole length of the apron. There’s little pieces of wood that get screwed to the table top, with the tip sticking into the mortise or dado. There’s no glue, and the tip can slide in or out to accommodate wood movement.

You can also use the same wood attachment means on the aprons that run the other way, where you could use the metal figure-8 you mention.
    I agree with Jamie. Use figure 8 attachments on the aprons that go across the grain of the top. The figure 8's will move (swing) as the top expands and contracts. Then, where the aprons run in the same direction as the grain of the top, use the wood attachments that Jamie describes. If you've never seen them, do a bit of searching on the web if Jamie's description is not clear enough.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 06-17-2018 at 12:53 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Like this...
    tabletopfastener.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I'm familiar with the Z brackets, or wooden cleat equivalents, but I'm not so fond of them.

I'm going to hold out a while longer to see if I can get some metal thingies like I've drawn. I feel they have to be available somewhere (even though I've zero evidence for that).

Or the metal version of Jamie's wooden ones.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware...=3,41306,41309

I used them and found a biscuit tool is perfect for cutting the slot for the metal clamps.

A little slow posting before finding out you don't like the clips. Time to buy yourself a milling machine and make your own.
    Last edited by Peter Christensen; 06-17-2018 at 11:33 AM.

Google "slotted mending plates". There are a few possibilies showing up in the search.

I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

Make your own out of a mending plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post

I'm going to hold out a while longer to see if I can get some metal thingies like I've drawn. I feel they have to be available somewhere (even though I've zero evidence for that).
    How many do you need? Someone with even a small milling machine could make these in a heartbeat from steel, brass, whatever. Well, several heartbeats. If you don't know someone a small machine shop might do it, it's a trivial operation. I have a milling machine in my shop and a friend has a big CNC but it's a long walk to here from your house.

JKJ

Figure 8s from Amazon

This thread is a great example of posters not reading the whole thread. Don’t keep suggesting figure 8’s or z-clips if he said he specifically doesn’t want those!

I agree with those who’ve said to fashion your own or sub it out to someone with a mill.

Thanks all. I've followed up on the google searches suggested here, but nothing right turned up.

Several of you suggested milling my own or having it done, which seems like the way to go.

Thanks again.