Thread: Jet tools

Jet tools

D825891B-8F7B-441D-B5B4-1EC65A15710D.jpgI have the opportunity to purchase a couple jet tools
    One is a 14” band saw with a riser block

Another one is a slow speed wet grinder

Anything I need to look at before I buy
    And what should I pay?
    Last edited by phil harold; 06-16-2018 at 4:20 PM.
    Carpe Lignum

Blog Entries
    I would plug them all in and make sure they run. Look at the condition of the tools, particularly the table on the band saw. Check all the adjustments to make sure they work.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Probably should check the local Craigslist, and Facebook market maybe the next door app and see what used equipment is selling for in your area.
    There are several different models of the bandsaw and while they are basically the same machine there are different motors and accessories that can add value.
    I am not familiar with the grinder.
    What's the asking prices ?

600 for the jet saw
    I have a 14” delta that has served me well for twenty years or more
    But the idea of a dedicated resaw bandsaw excites me

The jet grinder the want 200
    Has a tormek 10 wheel on it...
    Carpe Lignum

Blog Entries
    I have a 14" Jet bandsaw with a riser block. I am very satisfied with it.
    Mine is a closed stand as well. It is an excellent machine.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 06-16-2018 at 10:19 PM.

I have a Jet 14” closed stand model, one of the older grey or blue-grey ones (I’m color blind). I bought it used several years ago, but don’t remember what I paid, I think In the neighborhood of $400. After I got it, I replaced the tires (urethane) and bought a decent fence system for it. With a link belt, new tires, blade(s), and cool blocks, it runs very well. I did replace the bearings too, but more because I didn’t know a lot about it’s history, not because it necessarily need them.

Quote Originally Posted by phil harold View Post
    600 for the jet saw
    I have a 14” delta that has served me well for twenty years or more
    But the idea of a dedicated resaw bandsaw excites me
    The jet grinder the want 200
    Has a tormek 10 wheel on it...
    Since you have the Delta (and the Jet is essentially the same machine) it shouldn't be to hard to decide what you think the Jet is worth.

I have owned the Jet 14" (with riser) for around 18 years or so. Been a great saw. To qualify, I am a weekend/evening woodworker. I don't really put the saw thru any heavy use - mostly mahogany, cherry, poplar, maple - and mostly thinner stock. I have done some resawing on it. No serious issues. I replaced a noisy thrust bearing and added cool blocks. The cool blocks are very loose in the mounts and I have to add shims to them to keep them aligned to the blade. Also added a 4" dust port to the door and one of those brushes to clean the tire. Oh, I had one screw for the blade guard that stripped. It still works though! I just can't remove it.

Now, there was a period of manf. of these that had an issue with the tension adjuster rod? being too soft and wearing out where it pressed against the casting. Mine has not suffered that. Also, there was a run that had a casting problem and they cracked. Sorry I can't remember specifics, but might be worth Googling before you buy to make sure it doesn't have those issues.