Thread: Walnut NE

Walnut NE

A friend lost a walnut tree during Hurricane Irma and let me have a few pieces to turn, I turned this one green, about 3/8” thick, 14” wingtip to tip, 12” wide. Finished with polymerized tung oil.

Excuse the shop pics, I was rushing to get this one finished for a wedding present this past weekend and didn’t have time to setup the photo booth.

The sapwood from this tree has been VERY difficult to cut cleanly, I had more tear out on the wings than I would have liked. I’m struggling with sanding dust staining the sapwood.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Another ringed foot, I tried a couple of these recently. I like this one better than my last.

6C3C3A78-2187-42BA-A57F-C7E3EC68A2CD.jpg63EE69F2-4D8E-43E9-833A-3CBD292B29D2.jpg007D199F-ECA1-4365-88B0-AA9E1F87F201.jpg
    Where did I put that?

That's a nice one Rob. I wouldn't worry too much about the stain from the sanding dust, I think it adds to it.
    Love the foot btw.

To cut the wings cleanly use a 40/40 grind bowl gouge. Set the tool rest parellel to the ways and as close to the surface of the wing as possible. Roll the flute to a 3 o’clock position and use a slow push cut or increase the lathe speed. Don’t push the tool bevel into wood. Just kiss the wood with the tool. Pushing into the wood will push the wing out and when the gouge hits the next wing it will take a heavier cut causing groves and tore fibers.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

I’ve been looking more and more into the 40/40 and I’m going to give it a try. I’ve watched several videos, I can’t seem to find much in the way of pics of the finished profile. I tried on my cheap Benjamin’s best 3/8 gouge and got a very pointy nose. Trying to figure out if that’s what I’m looking for or not.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Where did I put that?

Nice work! I like the bottom too. I bought a custom stamp, but found I often didn't have the bottom flat. So the stamp would rock and not do a good job. I have been engraving which looks ok, but this has got me to thinking about using the stamp again. Thanks for sharing.

A “V” shaped flute is more difficult to sharpeen with a 44/40 grind. The sides of the wings are thinner. Stuart Batty showed our club that he grinds the wing of a “V” by sliding the tool straight right to left and left to right. Then he sung the Hanley to perpendicular to the grinder while rotating the flute to a 12 o’clock position. A parabolic is easier with its wider nose.
    Member Illiana Woodturners