Thread: Some Tasai Chisels, in case someone is interested

Some Tasai Chisels, in case someone is interested

I was surfing Woodcraft's site and they claim to have exactly ONE SET of Tasai Damascas Pattern Blue Steel Multi-Hollow Back Chisel Set with Ebony Handles. It's a set of 10 for $4100 USD. Link.

I don't know anything about Japanese chisels. But someone who does might find these interesting.

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 06-16-2018 at 10:45 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Good goobidy goob!

Those chisels make the shavings jump off without even touching the wood.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I was surfing Woodcraft's site and they claim to have exactly ONE SET of Tasai Damascas Pattern Blue Steel Multi-Hollow Back Chisel Set with Ebony Handles. It's a set of 10 for $4100 USD. Link.

I don't know anything about Japanese chisels. But someone who does might find these interesting.

Fred
    Fred,

Only about out three or four things wrong with those chisels for user chisels. Damascus pattern,Blue steel,multi hollow, and Ebony handles.

I expect they look pretty good in the presentation box.

ken

Looks good to me.
    I have a couple of his fancy chisels. Always try to do my best work with my favorites
    Im glad to all chiseled up because I cannot afford to buy his work today
    Aj

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I do know a guy who has some and he LOVES them..

I'm sure that they'll make someone very happy, though don't expect they'll see much actual use. Which I find ironic.

Ken, curious, why don't you like multiple hollows?
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    I'm sure that they'll make someone very happy, though don't expect they'll see much actual use. Which I find ironic.

Ken, curious, why don't you like multiple hollows?
    Chris,

I’s not that I dislike multiple hollows it is they add cost with, as best I can tell, little benefit. That set of chisels was made for collectors not to use. Nothing wrong but not for me.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Only about out three or four things wrong with those chisels for user chisels. Damascus pattern,Blue steel,multi hollow, and Ebony handles.
    Only the Ebony handles are a potential functional problem IMO. The rest are just added cost :-)

Patrick - You're back! We were just "talking" about you yesterday saying "where the devil you been?"
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Ken, thanks; that's my take too. Given that these are clearly to function as blingly blingly bling, perhaps functional after all I recall the saying in the fishing world: the easiest way to sell a lure is to catch the fisherman, not the fish!

Good to hear from you Patrick

C
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Patrick - You're back! We were just "talking" about you yesterday saying "where the devil you been?"
    Hah, thanks! Work has been super-busy lately.

I've actually been semi-active over on the Finishing forum, as I decided to finally learn to do that properly.