Thread: Have you tried epoxy as a finish for bowls or larger turned objects?

Have you tried epoxy as a finish for bowls or larger turned objects?

I've experimented some with epoxy on larger turned items such as bowls, et. I have the ability to dry items at about 20 rpms and have had some luck with brushed on epoxy finish with a drying time of 24hours. I think it would help to have a faster drying epoxy to reduce the problem of dust nibs and other interferences of the finish shine. Although not perfect, all of these bowls (3 or 4) have sold to delighted customers ... but I strive for outstanding results ... not just ok.

Any experience with this ... tips, criticisms. I would appreciate your input and experiences. Thank you.

I don't use epoxy as a finish but my neighbor does. This link gives a bit of info on his finishing process http://users.gmavt.net/rwcturner/hybrid.html

I just finished a 10 1/5 inch bowl, my first using epoxy as a finish 2 weeks ago. Turned out nice and the customer was pleased. I'm like you when it comes to being a perfectionist. I used a rotisserie on my lathe to spin it and covered it up with a box turned sideways on the ways. I lightly sanded it with 1200 grit paper between coats. After 3 coats I let it cure for approximately 3 days. Another light sanding with 1200 grit then buffed it with my Beall system.
    I'm not totally sold on epoxy but that's what the customer wanted so that's what she got. As long as she was happy, I'm happy.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Thanks for the input to both of you. I like the look of it when it is right ... and hate it when it is not right. I'll keep trying when I have time ... and maybe someday get it right.

What kind of epoxy do you use that is thin enough to apply this way? Or do you thin it?

I’ve used epoxy for a pizza cutter handle, worked great. I’ve also used it on furniture- in that case I didn’t want the hard high gloss so I finished it with a coat of satin poly. No bowls- yet.

I'm very much in favor of new ideas and methods but just why would you think epoxy would be a good finish? I tried it on a sample(boat) and it works down to any luster fine but is a pain to work with and not as pretty as other finishes.

Everyone doesn't like the same thing. I usually try to make items to satisfy my customer's likes. I often make things that I don't particularly like or don't like to make because they sell. Since this is not a hobby, I can't always do exactly what I want to.