Thread: Build vs Buy: Taper Jig. Dubby On Sale Too.

Build vs Buy: Taper Jig. Dubby On Sale Too.

I'm envisioning the legs of a console table I want to make to be tapered. I was thinking about making a taper jig in addition to crosscut sled this weekend BUT Peachtree has the Dubby Taper Jig on sale of $72 shipped, regular $120.

Any thoughts on building vs buying?

A sheet of 3/4" ply cabinet grade is $45-$50 at my home depot. Then gotta cut etc. I have the clamps already.

Debating if it's worth my time to build or buy it.

If you can afford it, buy it. Unless you just like to spend time making jigs.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Westfall View Post
    If you can afford it, buy it. Unless you just like to spend time making jigs.
    Kind of my thought as well.

Patrick
    I'm in the build it when you need it camp.
    I've built more than a few through the years, and all of them were purpose specific. I would not want to be constrained by the dimensions of a prebuilt sled.

I built one VERY simply and inexpensively a few years ago (for under $10, since I had the hardware).
    I haven't used it again. For me, it wouldn't have been worth the $70. YMMV.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I can build a taper jig as quickly as it takes to set up the Dubby. Seems like a waste to me. Of course, I'm assuming we all have plenty of scrap wood lying around.

Blog Entries
    This sounds like a case of whether you have the stock on hand or not. It is a weekend project to make a fairly nice one if you have the stuff on hand. Much less time for a one-off, single use setup. If you have to buy everything, the commercial route may be better for you.

Taper Jig 2.0 pin assembly detail (1).jpgTaper Jig 2.0 pin assembly detail (3).jpgTaper Jig (13).jpgTaper Jig (15).jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 06-16-2018 at 11:19 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

you want to make some table legs its some scrap plywood and an air nailer and likely five minutes to make it.

Bought a commercial one, used it one time..
    Made my own, used it many times..
    for a one time project, as Warren said...five minutes

Where is Norm and his Yankee Workshop? I made a taper jig after seeing his simple one about 15 years back using a door hinge and plain lumber. Works when I need it and cost less than $1 using scrap lumber and hinge. Does not have the clamping on some of the purchased units, but has worked for the simple needs I have.

Had to make four tapered legs today. Doubt it took me two minutes to whip this up.
    Attached Images Attached Images