Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DC hose for Minimax FS41c?

DC hose for Minimax FS41c?

Oh my, this machine hasn't been here a week, and it's "loving me long time".

I got all my DC fittings and was going to run a 6" drop to the machine, and pickup a 4" flex-hose to the ports. The problem? The ports aren't 4"!!! I'm sorry if I'm sort of "internet yelling". I am just at my ends with this.

I eyeballed the OD with a tape, and it appears to be about 4 11/16". I realize this is a Euro machine, and must be non-standard but I can't find any non-standard stuff on the internet. I'm happy to rig up something, but I need lemons to make lemonade.

Anyone with this machine have a solution which does not involve nord-fab? I use S&D piping for my DC and have everything I need except a way to turn a 6" pipe into 4 11/16" and a hose to go from there.

Thanks in advance.

<sigh> deep breaths Mike, deep breaths....
    --

Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.

Port is 120mm. For now just use a 5" fitting and wrap duct tape around the port until the fit is good. Trim the edge flush with the inlet and good to go. The ones I inteneded to make permanent 15 years ago are still good with the duct tape size adjuster. Dave

Hi,

Dave's solution will work and work quickly. But if you are OCD get one of these (flexible PVC coupling):

https://www.homedepot.com/p/5-in-x-4...6-54/100157678

They come in lots of other sizes if you decide to go straight from 120mm to the 6" drop.

What do you mean the machine is "loving me long time"? A day ago it sounded like you regret the purchase and would never buy a piece of SCM machinery again. Have your feelings changed on it? Do you love it, hate it , or both?

Edwin
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 06-15-2018 at 12:05 PM.

120mm port. A simple rubber Fernco part from the 'borg plumbing department will adapt nicely between 120mm (slips over) and coupler (slips inside) 5" hose. This is actually a desirable way to do it with a J/P when you need to change the hose from the hood that serves the jointer function and the hood that serves the thicknessing function.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 06-15-2018 at 5:53 PM. Reason: clarified wording
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Felder makes some adapters for the 120mm fitting, one for sure is 120 to 4 inch. Can't remember the rest, check the catalog for sure.

Bob

Hi, as others have said the machine connection is 120mm.

I use this Felder coupler because the right angle style works best with my machines.

It will accept a 5 inch hose on one end and fits the 120mm machine port on the other end.

http://us.feldershop.com/en-US/en-US...connector.html

Regards, Rod.

Here is the Fernco coupling: machine to coupling to short length of 5" pipe to 5" hose. I used foil tape for all connections: works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BPG4Q8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

8. Rockler sells schedule 40 pvc to 4" hose adapters that fit the 120mm dust ports with no modifications. I put two of them on my FS30, so far so good.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am in the process of upgrading dust collection on my Minimax CU300 combo. I am fairly certain both of our machines have the standard 120 mm dust ports. What I am doing is to upgrade the flex hose from 4" to 5" and then use a Fernco rubber fitting from Home Depot to connect the flex hose to the dust port on the machine. The rubber fitting is called PlumbQuick by Fernco. P1002-44. One side has a large diameter than the other. 5" flex hose fits inside the large side and the smaller side fits over the dust port on the MM machine. It is under $10.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    120mm port. A simple rubber Fernco part from the 'borg plumbing department will adapt nicely between 120mm (slips over) and 5" (slips inside) hose. This is actually a desirable way to do it with a J/P when you need to change the hose from the hood that serves the jointer function and the hood that serves the thicknessing function.
    So wait, the Home Depot part is a 5" rubber coupler(no reducing) and a 5" flex hose fits inside the 5" rubber coupling? How do you attach the hose to the coupling?
    --

Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.

OK, thank you for all the input. I've got to sift through all this. Seems like all of you have done it differently!

What I want to do is take my 6" pipe, and at the machine end, reduce it to 5". 5" flex hose from there to the machine. Now I'm just trying to figure out what to put on the end of this flex hose. A Fernco 5" rubber fits over top of the 120mm dust port with duct tape to bring the 120mm port up in size. I'm that far. What's on the other end of the Fernco rubber? Is it just a 5" rubber coupling with the same 5" on either end?

https://www.amazon.com/EVERCONNECT-4...e+pvc+coupling

??
    Last edited by Mike Dowell; 06-15-2018 at 3:14 PM.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dowell View Post
    OK, thank you for all the input. I've got to sift through all this. Seems like all of you have done it differently!

What I want to do is take my 6" pipe, and at the machine end, reduce it to 5". 5" flex hose from there to the machine. Now I'm just trying to figure out what to put on the end of this flex hose. A Fernco 5" rubber fits over top of the 120mm dust port with duct tape to bring the 120mm port up in size. I'm that far. What's on the other end of the Fernco rubber? Is it just a 5" rubber coupling with the same 5" on either end?

https://www.amazon.com/EVERCONNECT-4...e+pvc+coupling

??
    That is exactly the same setup I am doing. The rubber coupling I posted above worked perfectly for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Martin View Post
    That is exactly the same setup I am doing. The rubber coupling I posted above worked perfectly for me.
    That's a 4" - 4", I posted a 5"-5". And how would I connect a 5" coupler to a 5" hose? I guess with a piece of 5" pipe in the center? I hope I mentioned, but in case I didn't, I'm using S&D piping, *not* schedule 40 PVC.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dowell View Post
    So wait, the Home Depot part is a 5" rubber coupler(no reducing) and a 5" flex hose fits inside the 5" rubber coupling? How do you attach the hose to the coupling?
    Sorry, I wasn't careful with my words. Hose goes over the coupler with a clamp. I'll fix the original post. My bad!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Poke around on Fernco's website. Be patient but you should find one that works. There are hundreds of them. They list all their couplers and cross reference inch to MM. Get the part number for the one you need and likely Amazon will have it for $10 or less. If your in doubt order one slightly larger than your port, they will tighten down.

Marty

Edit to ad: I agree with the others that you should run 5" flex, but don't see the need for a fernco at the machine. 5" (125mm) will fit over the 120mm port and tighten down with a hose clamp. Run a 5" drop and the other end of the 5" flex will hose clamp to it. Heres my Bandsaw with 120mm ports hooked to 5" duct with 5" flex. If you need to adapt down from 6" rigid to 5" flex get a 6-5 fernco and a short piece of rigid 5" and a hose clamp. 6" fernco over your drop and use the short, rigid 5" with half in the other end of the fernco and half in the flex pipe with the hose clamp. Hope that makes sense, it does to me.

IMG_0365.jpgIMG_0366.jpgIMG_0367.jpg
    Last edited by marty fretheim; 06-15-2018 at 7:03 PM.