Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DC hose for Minimax FS41c?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Sorry, I wasn't careful with my words. Hose goes over the coupler with a clamp. I'll fix the original post. My bad!
    Ahhhhh. Ok. So you cut part of the coupler off. It acts as the duct tape to bring the dust port up to size. Right? And the 5” coupler fits? Straight 5”?
    --

Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.

Quote Originally Posted by marty fretheim View Post
    Edit to ad: I agree with the others that you should run 5" flex, but don't see the need for a fernco at the machine. 5" (125mm) will fit over the 120mm port and tighten down with a hose clamp.
    The issue with the clamp is that the hose need to move to a different port on a J/P in many instances, depending on whether or not you're using the jointing or thicknessing function. The Fernco acts as a snug, but easy to use quick disconnect.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dowell View Post
    Ahhhhh. Ok. So you cut part of the coupler off. It acts as the duct tape to bring the dust port up to size. Right? And the 5” coupler fits? Straight 5”?
    I didn't cut anything off...

IMG_1233.jpg
    --

The issue with the clamp is that the hose need to move to a different port on a J/P in many instances, depending on whether or not you're using the jointing or thicknessing function. The Fernco acts as a snug, but easy to use quick disconnect.
    10-4 on that Jim. This is what I did on my j/p. I put the blast gate where I didn't have to reach so far but the 5" hose will fit on the Felder coupler.

image.jpgimage.jpg

The Fernco is a much less expensive solution. I like the 90 degree angle, it keeps the hose out of the way. I too am confused how you hook the Fernco to the flex pipe without using some rigid pipe inside. Got a pic?

Marty

IMG_1233.jpg
    Youre posting faster than me. I wouldn't have thought it would tighten down on a Fernco. Thanks.

Marty

That's a 4" - 4", I posted a 5"-5". And how would I connect a 5" coupler to a 5" hose? I guess with a piece of 5" pipe in the center? I hope I mentioned, but in case I didn't, I'm using S&D piping, *not* schedule 40 PVC.
    Hopefully the pictures below will help:
    IMG_1216.JPGIMG_1217.JPG

In the first picture the flex hose is 5" diameter. The other end fits over the MM dust port perfectly. The 4" - 4" label on the part, I believe, refers to the internal diameter of the two different pipe materials this fitting is designed to connect. Because they have different wall thickness, they have different outside diameters. That is how a 5" flex hose fits inside the large side, even though it is labeled 4" - 4".

OK, I'm almost there. So what keeps that hose clamp from collapsing the fernco fitting?
    --

Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Martin View Post
    Hopefully the pictures below will help:
    IMG_1216.JPGIMG_1217.JPG

In the first picture the flex hose is 5" diameter. The other end fits over the MM dust port perfectly. The 4" - 4" label on the part, I believe, refers to the internal diameter of the two different pipe materials this fitting is designed to connect. Because they have different wall thickness, they have different outside diameters. That is how a 5" flex hose fits inside the large side, even though it is labeled 4" - 4".
    Another excellent picture - thank you. What prevents that hose clamp on the fernco fitting from collapsing the flex hose? Or is it just on there sort of lightly snug?
    --

Blog Entries
    I leave the hose clamp just tight enough that I can pull the hose off to vacuum up around the machines.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Another excellent picture - thank you. What prevents that hose clamp on the fernco fitting from collapsing the flex hose? Or is it just on there sort of lightly snug?
    As long as you are reasonable with the hose clamp, it will not collapse the flex hose. I just got the parts and have not installed it all yet, just wanted to show you how it all works together. Pretty simple.

OK, I'm almost there. So what keeps that hose clamp from collapsing the fernco fitting?
    The Fernco actually has a recess for the clamp, but you do need to be cautious about how you tighten it down. One could always use a short piece of sheet metal to make an adapter that would be firmer if desired, but it's rare I have this thing come apart...and when it has happened, it was because I was "man-handling" it more than I should have.

BTW, you should be able to get the part number off that photo and get an identical one at the 'borg...which is where I bought mine. I use an identical one for the connection to my slider, although that one never has to be removed.
    --

Hey Jim, what does your 5" flex hose connect to on the opposite end? I've got 6" S&D piping which was going to end with a 6"- 4" reducer. That plan is scrapped at this point. I'll grab that rubber coupling, and my 5" hose will slip over that, but I'm not sure how to tie in the 5" hose back to my 6" S&D system.
    --

My drop is 6" to that location and I have a 6-5" reducer. My ducting is all metal...I don't use plastic. But you should be able to work up a connection using a 6-5" metal reducer and a little rolled sheet metal to connect to your 6" plastic. Unfortunately plastic tends to only be available in "even" number sizes. That's actually too bad because there honestly are a lot of machines where 5" is pretty ideal from an air flow perspective.
    --

Cool deal, and thank you. Man... what a stinking hassle!
    --

My connection was a bit different. I use 6" piping and a 6" hose down from the ceiling. I had a couple of extra 6" to 4" connectors, from the furnace ducting section of the local big-box store. I cut some slits in from the small end, cut off a couple inches from the small end, and with some care you get a connector that just barely slides over the MM port. Add a wrap of aluminium tape that I use for the ductwork and it's semi-permanent. Then I put a short bit of pipe on the end of the hose (crimped both ways, to fit in the hose and the fitting). It swaps quickly and makes a tight connection.

Terry T.