Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Table saw as router table - router fence considerations

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    Dean, I will PM you a link to an ongoing thread in the Aussie forums as the archaic rules on linking here do not allow me to post it and you can't argue with a brick wall.
    Chris, not a mod but I think you can post the address of another forum, just don't make it 'clickable'. Same with Ebay, could be wrong though. Keith went into the reason for not posting live links to certain web destinations but it was years ago. It wasn't just being arbitrary.

I would be interested in reading the discussion, too.

Blog Entries
    Some folks like the full blown Incra LS or a Wonderfence, some are fine with just a piece of scrap and a couple of clamps. I'm in between. My requirements for a router table fence have morphed over the years. Right now my requirements list is something like:

- easily changed out faces for tall, deep or regular support.
    - split faces for adjusting to bit or adding a sac-fence section
    - t-slots for featherboards and other uses
    - dust collection which includes clearance for big or tall bits
    - easy adjustability for position

I have had micro adjust options and they are nice but, I don't miss them on my current setup. Often there are features that are irreplaceable for some and not missed by others. Walk through some operations in your mind and see that the fences you are considering meet your needs for those things. Can you add tall faces for vertical routing, does it accept stops for mortising and grooving, will the opening allow a raised panel bit, etc.?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    I would be interested in reading the discussion, too.
    Google "yet another router table build" - It will be the best router table in the world when finished. Let me put this in context, I am into tech and gadgets but what I mostly like about digital is the repeatability it gives and when we are finished building this we can store the settings for jobs if needed. Having said that none of it is necessary to do good work and I can understand why some would dismiss all the technology going into it because the job can certainly be done without it. The OP of the thread is doing all the programming from scratch to enable a lot of features going into it. He built the original table and we are now taking it a step further and adding the electronic control but if you aren't interested in electrons the original table is still a masterpiece in design and execution.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening