Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Will 2020 be the year?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    You wouldn't if you were sheeting a roof.
    Oh, no disagreement there. The building industry will face a challenge on this for sure. But for "in-shop"...I'm all for the extra inch. My CNC actually wants that for the spoilboard, for example.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm curious Rich, who?
    Vietnam and possibly Korea.
    Just pure speculation on my part - so - IMHO applies.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    And yet we still manage to have the largest economy in the world, go figure?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...y_GDP_(nominal)

ETA wiki link.
    I don't think having a lousy measurement system has anything to do with the economy

In all seriousness, much of what America designs and produces is metric.

It's like Canada, we're metric however most hobbyists still use the Imperial system, at work it's metric. We'll eventually all changeover, my children have never worked in the Imperial system, so once us older folks are gone you'll almost never see Imperial used.

The interesting thing is that the USA went metric for standards many decades ago........Regards, Rod.

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I don't think having a lousy measurement system has anything to do with the economy

In all seriousness, much of what America designs and produces is metric.

It's like Canada, we're metric however most hobbyists still use the Imperial system, at work it's metric. We'll eventually all changeover, my children have never worked in the Imperial system, so once us older folks are gone you'll almost never see Imperial used.

The interesting thing is that the USA went metric for standards many decades ago........Regards, Rod.

Regards, Rod.
    It doesn’t, and I’m a fan of metric. Just rebutting the comment about the US being a backwater.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 06-21-2018 at 8:46 AM.

When I was in Germany a few years ago, galvanized pipe was fractional but copper & plastic were metric, which I found unusual, the galvy pipe that is. So some things never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Meyers View Post
    When I was in Germany a few years ago, galvanized pipe was fractional but copper & plastic were metric, which I found unusual, the galvy pipe that is. So some things never change.
    It's still that way, and no one at any of the hardware stores that I've talked to can explain it. It's the same with automotive wheels and hub caps.

I belive Ford used water pipe threads for spark plugs in the old days. All other plugs have always been metric. At least once they went to electric plugs.
    Edison bulb/fuse threads are metric and always have been. I believe the USA standard is e26 for 26 mm base.
    Modern Chemistry and physics was invented in Germany so all that lab equipment has always been metric since 1850 or so when it started. No idea what Germany used before metric.
    Bill D.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 06-23-2018 at 3:50 PM.

Blog Entries
    There are probably hundreds of millions of recorded legal documents related to land ownership that are, with some exceptions dating back over a hundred years, using foot and decimals of a foot for measurement. That will be hard to undo.
    NOW you tell me...

I can go to OSH and buy metric nuts and bolts but they are almost all packed one to a plastic bag and cost much more then a Imperial one. They have no metric special items like wing nuts, acorn nuts, all thread etc.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    There are probably hundreds of millions of recorded legal documents related to land ownership that are, with some exceptions dating back over a hundred years, using foot and decimals of a foot for measurement. That will be hard to undo.
    I don't know how but all countries that have converted have faced all these issues so it is nothing new.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

I work in the oilfield, which has it's own interesting units! they are a mixture of imperial and measurements that are just made up. some places in the world work in metric in the oilfield, but they are few and fare between, and I think it will be a long time until there is any traction in changing. What is interesting is when you work in a country that has mixed units.

In my own life, I like miles and gallons feet and inches. I understand the utility of metric, but I just like the imperial measurements. I also have a lot of nice tools that only measure imperial, so that would be inconvenient.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I thought it was significant in 1974 when they started selling gasoline in liters. Obviously I was wrong. Now I don't think it will ever happen; Americans seem to delight in being unique, even if that requires them to be inferior.
    Some stations switched to selling liters of gas when the price went over a 99 cents a gallon and the pumps didn't have enough digits to display $1.00. I hope we don't see the day when it goes over $9.99 a gallon and the process repeats.
    Steve