Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 TPI saw?

3 TPI saw?

This is from my local Craigslist. The saw on the right appears to have suffered some sort of sharpening agony. Poor thing.

CECB688B-B10A-42F7-BD58-D34787C998E2.jpeg

Likely somebody did that for cutting green wood....

Blog Entries
    I would file the teeth off, remove the grunge, re-tooth, and sharpen and gloat. I have saws that I have done
    that to and they are a pleasure to use. A curly maple handle would be gorgeous.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 06-14-2018 at 10:22 PM.

3 tpi would make a sick ripping machine! But these teeth certainly need a lot of attention. The toothline looks like the walk of a drunk sailor.

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    [snip] ... looks like the walk of a drunk sailor.
    Hold on there now! I resemble that remark.

Just remember, you can't be drunk on the beach all day if you don't drink in the morning.
    Beer: it's not just for breakfast anymore!
    A bowman works on the pointy end of the boat (or down below with the owner's daughter). Owners and boat drivers stay on the pointless end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dibTXeb25E0

That should just about set things right! You need to be more careful in future.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Bring on the Sloop John B.

Short version of one of these?
    IMAG0121.jpg
    IMAG0125.jpg
    Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by James Waldron View Post
    Hold on there now! I resemble that remark.

Just remember, you can't be drunk on the beach all day if you don't drink in the morning.
    Beer: it's not just for breakfast anymore!
    A bowman works on the pointy end of the boat (or down below with the owner's daughter). Owners and boat drivers stay on the pointless end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dibTXeb25E0

That should just about set things right! You need to be more careful in future.
    Off with thee to Monroe Bay and the rest of you Virginia river pirates
    Jim

Where did you find that one? Just when I thought I had forgotten about my childhood...

How does it cut? I mean, you bought it, right?

Kees,

Looking at the tooth line and sharpening, your comments could be considered as insulting to drunken sailers. (Just kidding)

Regards,

Stew

Well, no, Pat. Tempting, yes. It’s kind of like seeing your young child after he decided to roll around in a pile of mud; a complete mess, wish it didn’t happen, but also makes you smile. Saw till is full, a few needing attention. Just no time for another mess.

And for the rest of you:
    That's exactly what I thought when first told of the tale. Buried in the island of the dead that which cannot be found except by those who already knows where it is. Find it, we did. And there be the chest... and inside, be the gold. We took them all! Spent 'em, traded 'em and fritted 'em away, for drink and food and pleasurable company.
    Aye.

12. Maybe a saw meant for stone cutting. I wouldn't have believed it myself until I saw an ol time stone mason, when working in the UK, using what was essentially a wood rip saw with a similar tpi for cutting sandstone. I was quizzing him on it and he said the steel held up well with the large teeth. The teeth tips would reach a level of roundness very quickly and then stayed that way for lots of cuts. Didn't take him much effort or time to cut through some fairly large blocks of sandstone. He was saying before the days of carbide and you needed to cut stone onsite, that's what they did.

Added
    Had a closer look at the picture and am pretty sure that's what it was for. If you look at the teeth and the way they're ground/filed it wouldn't work well with wood.
    Last edited by matteo furbacchione; 06-16-2018 at 6:59 PM.

Peter Nicholson, writing in 1812, said a ripping saw had eight teeth in three inches. This kind of saw cuts fast, but requires a lot of experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    Peter Nicholson, writing in 1812, said a ripping saw had eight teeth in three inches. This kind of saw cuts fast, but requires a lot of experience.
    Once you get the hang of going in like a dive bomber they work good. Saws with big teeth like that filed crosscut wil go thru a 2x4 in 3 or4 strokes. Can't say much for the cleanest of cut, they will cut straight once you get the feel for it. When you have a couple hundred studs to cut, no 92 5/8 pre-cuts and no electrons available they are just great.
    Jim

Just based on the photo, I would class the saw as a docking saw with a peg tooth filing, made for sawing thick material that cut on both push and pull stroke. Tooth profile is for cross cut and would not likely be effective as a rip saw.