Thread: Replacement Handle/tote for Stanley No. 6

Replacement Handle/tote for Stanley No. 6

I recently got my hands on a type 11 no 6c plane for a great price and the only major issue is that the tote is cracked in half about an inch above the base. I think I can epoxy it back together, and I’m not overly concerned about looks as it will definitely be a user plane. On the off chance the epoxy just doesn’t do the job where can I find replacement handles? I though one of the online wood working suppliers sold some that fit but can’t seem to find the right shop.

Any ideas?

nhplaneparts.......(ebay store)

Make one. Lee Valley has measured drawings on their website.
    Jeff

Thanks for the feedback. I’d be interested in making one, but at the moment I’m building my making my first workbench and and am pretty committed to that at the moment.

ill check out the eBay store!

Blog Entries
    Epoxy is good at holding broken totes together. Clean the surfaces to be glued with some acetone first to remove any of the oils from the rosewood. Rosewood can be a pain to glue due to its natural oilyness.

If you have a piece of rosewood, you can file or saw some dust from it to mix with the epoxy used at the surface to help it blend in.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Bill Rittner and Greg Doz both make replacement knobs and handles for most bench planes (2-8)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Eaton View Post
    I recently got my hands on a type 11 no 6c plane for a great price and the only major issue is that the tote is cracked in half about an inch above the base. I think I can epoxy it back together, and I’m not overly concerned about looks as it will definitely be a user plane. On the off chance the epoxy just doesn’t do the job where can I find replacement handles? I though one of the online wood working suppliers sold some that fit but can’t seem to find the right shop.

Any ideas?
    Contact Patrick Leach, leach@supertool.com, he hates the #6, maybe he has some shards, er parts, he can send you. It's always useful to have a basket of spare plane parts rusting away in the corner...

I have a Stanley #8 that came with a broken tote. As Jim said, I wiped it down with acetone and glued it together with Titebond III (what I have). So far, one year later, it has held up just fine, and that plane gets a serious workout. I don't think it's going to come apart unless I do something stupid.
    Jeff