Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Color laser printer

Color laser printer

I'm looking at getting a laser color printer. Anyone have experience with a particular brand, cost to run, print quality, speed, etc.? WiFi / Bluetooth, and ability to print on card stock would be nice. Thanks!
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

I have a Xerox Phaser 6180N color printer. It is a discontinued model that is really designed for networked office environments, but I use it at home because I got it on clearance. The cost per page comes out around 9 cents a page if you use it for all color. Some people will set the printer driver for black only if they don't need color because the black toner is a little cheaper, but I don't bother. A major advantage with a color laser over an inkjet is the toner doesn't go bad over time like ink does if not used regularly. Eventually the fuser and other parts might need replacement, but for an average home user it won't get used enough to need to replace those parts.

Print quality is pretty good on this one, but no color laser I know of can do photographs as well as an inkjet. This model has no WI-FI or bluetooth and no idea on card stock.

Blog Entries
    I've been using the version prior to the HP LaserPro M1536dnf and have had zero problems. It will print on both sides of card stock, is fully networked, and has all the advantages of a multi function device (scanner, fax, etc.).

edit: HP used to have abysmal support for their consumer printer print drivers. Their business driver support was always excellent... that's why I went with a business class laser. It works from Linux, tablets, and windows. I see that they now have consumer-tier laser printers... I would research the driver situation before pulling the trigger on one of those models.

Greg
    Last edited by Greg Portland; 05-19-2014 at 8:10 PM.

Thanks for the responses. Brian, I am familiar with the larger office grade Phasers, they are nice, was not aware they had smaller versions. Thanks Greg, when you say "Research the driver situation" what are you referring to?
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

HP Officejet Pro 8500A for home office and home use. Zero problems.

Surely been supplanted by newer model[s].

Works fine. Not as robust as the HP LaserPro M1536dnf. Often use the non-color equivalent at company office. It works fine too.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by James Conrad View Post
    Thanks for the responses. Brian, I am familiar with the larger office grade Phasers, they are nice, was not aware they had smaller versions. Thanks Greg, when you say "Research the driver situation" what are you referring to?
    The Phaser printer I have is not exactly small. It is really a printer for a small office with a number of users. I only got it because it was relatively cheap on clearance. I didn't want some of the cheap home models that have really bad reviews.

I love my HP Color LaserJet (4650dn), but it is a beast (huge and heavy). I really like the print. It is old and discontinued. I have not had any problems for the years that I have had it. My Father purchased an HP Color Laser of some sort and he loves it as well. I have used numerous color HP Lasers at work as well.

I have had very good luck with HP laser Printers so I would look at them first if I needed to replace my printer.

First thing I would do is determine what it must do. I won't buy a printer these days unless it has a few specific features:

• Networked. I want to use one printer for every device connected to the network, so, I only buy printers that I can connect directly to the network (router or switch). Any serious printer will likely support this. Some even support WIFI, but, I usually place things close enough to my networking gear that it just does not matter.
    • Duplex. I print a lot, and, if it can automatically print on both sides I can use less paper.
    • Color. Never thought that I would care, but, it turns out that I do care.

For photos, it seems that ink jet looked better than laser last I checked. Laser printers print in a way, however, that usually hold up better than an ink jet printer (like when you get it wet).

From what I hear, you won't go wrong with the Xerox printers, but I have no experience with them.

I print a variety of things, so, I might print heavy stock. For this, you want a nice paper path that does not have a lot of twists and turns. Check to see the heaviest and lightest paper you can run through a printer.

Look at how much it costs to print a single page based on ink costs. HP Ink is very expensive. Works well, but very expensive.

I like to have an LCD panel on the printer. I used to own an HP 2200D. A great monochrome Laser. I hated that it only had status lights so I could not easily do many things directly from the printer front. My HP Printers all allow me to connect remotely with a web browser and I can see the printer status, how much toner, and similar. I can also see most of things things directly on the front panel LCD.

HP has the largest market share. This means that it is usually supported everywhere, even in those off beat operating systems like Linux.

Did I mention that my printer is a beast? It takes two people to move it. This is a strong consideration. I can now get a decent color laser that will do what I want and is much smaller. Well, when my big one finally fails (if it fails), I can get something smaller.

Blog Entries
    We have a Samsung CLP-315W. It works through Wifi and/or cabled connection and with both Mac / PC friendly. It is ~4-5 years old and has been very reliable. If I got one today it would be Airprint capable for iPhone / iPads.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I quit networking my color laser printer because if the router ever lost power the printer almost always got a different IP address from the DHCP server. I know I could set a static IP and exclude it from the DHCP range, or make a reservation on the DHCP server, but not worth the hassle for one PC. I ended up connecting to the printer with a USB cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I quit networking my color laser printer because if the router ever lost power the printer almost always got a different IP address from the DHCP server. I know I could set a static IP and exclude it from the DHCP range, or make a reservation on the DHCP server, but not worth the hassle for one PC. I ended up connecting to the printer with a USB cable.
    I configured my router to always give it the same IP address; easy to do generally. If you never connect anything else, then it is a non-issue. That seems to be the exception these days, however. In fact if you only have one computer, then I don't expect you to be running a DHCP server or have an external router or switch. Hmmm, then again, the new DVD players and TVs all want an internet connection these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    We have a Samsung CLP-315W. It works through Wifi and/or cabled connection and with both Mac / PC friendly. It is ~4-5 years old and has been very reliable. If I got one today it would be Airprint capable for iPhone / iPads.
    Don't know much about macs.... I wanted to use my phone and write software for it and with an iPhone I would need to purchase two phones so I opted for not Apple :-(

But... if you are a mac person, you need to consider it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    I configured my router to always give it the same IP address; easy to do generally.
    Yeah, bought my wife an Oki color last year, connected through a tiny Tenda repeater... worked beautifully until the first power outage. Took me another couple of power outages to realize what was happening, and each time I had to uninstall/reinstall the huge print driver. Finally said enough, you'll have to print using USB sticks until I can get around to hardwiring a port close to the printer.

Kind of ruined the ease of access...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Yeah, bought my wife an Oki color last year, connected through a tiny Tenda repeater... worked beautifully until the first power outage. Took me another couple of power outages to realize what was happening, and each time I had to uninstall/reinstall the huge print driver. Finally said enough, you'll have to print using USB sticks until I can get around to hardwiring a port close to the printer.

Kind of ruined the ease of access...
    I don't know about your setup, but, if the tenda is a repeater, then I assume that you have a primary wireless router serving as a DHCP server so you should only need to connect to that wireless router and tell it to serve up a particular IP address for your printers MAC address. Easy to write, but, probably difficult to find in the routers configuration menus.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    I configured my router to always give it the same IP address; easy to do generally. If you never connect anything else, then it is a non-issue. That seems to be the exception these days, however. In fact if you only have one computer, then I don't expect you to be running a DHCP server or have an external router or switch. Hmmm, then again, the new DVD players and TVs all want an internet connection these days.
    Even with just one PC I still have a wireless router for WI-FI for my phone plus I need a network connection for my OOMA phone device. The DHCP server is built into the router. I was just too lazy to setup a static IP for the printer since I could just use USB instead.

Even with just one PC I still have a wireless router for WI-FI for my phone plus I need a network connection for my OOMA phone device. The DHCP server is built into the router. I was just too lazy to setup a static IP for the printer since I could just use USB instead.
    I totally get that. I have not had much cause to attempt to print from my phone... although I did install some sort of HP application that knows how to print certain document types to my HP printer because someone asked me if it could be done. I figured out that "yep, I can do it", but, I still have not had any particular need to do so. I can build a use case for it in my head, but, most of them assume that i am at home with my desktop machine sitting there that is easier to use for that sort of thing.

I strongly prefer USB over the older Parallel cables. I think that I finally disposed of all of my old "printer cables", I just have too much computer junk at my house. I got rid of a couple of large boxes of stuff.