Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Everything is made in China, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    One of my recent enjoyments has been Charlie's Salsa - Tomatillo Wasabi. It was great blended with a jar of Roasted Verde Salsa. Cooked it up with an onion, a diced up chicken (bones removed of course), some jalapeņo peppers and lovage. Lovage taste like celery but stronger, it also helps to counter heartburn or other discomfort one might encounter from a 'spicy' meal.

The Chicken Verde can be eaten in a tortilla or over rice, Mmmmmmmmmmm.

jtk
    Is lovage a cousin to fennel?

Is it time for lunch? This is making me hungry!

I really like real wasabi. The stuff made out of horseradish doesn't quite do it for me in the same way though it is good...

But we don't get much food out of China for some obvious reasons.. But the stuff we do get is surprising... Frozen tilapia and frozen crayfish almost all comes out of China... As does a LOT of frozen crab and shrimp...

Also some other stuff that would completely surprise you - freeze dried oranges, pears, pineapple, and banana comes out of China and it's good stuff...

Going the other way is also a surprise as well.... A significant portion of the USA's domestic grapefruit citrus production goes to China one way or another... They like grapefruit a whole lot more there than we do... So go figure...

Quote Originally Posted by John C Cox View Post
    Frozen tilapia and frozen crayfish almost all comes out of China...
    You might want to research Tilapia from China.

Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Mac McQuinn View Post
    You might want to research Tilapia from China.

Mac
    I have. Basically just don't eat it every day and you'll be fine. You know, like pretty much anything else. I have tilapia about once a month and don't worry about the source.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blatter View Post
    Some may have listened to a story Planet Money did on NPR a few years ago (actually five and I thought it was 2 or 3) where they pre-sold T-shirts then had them made, following the materials from the fields in the southern US to them being delivered to their offices. It was pretty interesting. Where the cotton was made into thread was an automated plant in the far east, perhaps Indonesia (don't recall for sure), but on the factory floor, it was like a clean room. Nobody allowed in, fully automated.
    I listened to that story on Planet Money, and can't believe it's been that long since the series aired. I was surprised at how global something as simple as a T-shirt is.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    Is lovage a cousin to fennel?

Is it time for lunch? This is making me hungry!
    A distant cousin:

Fennel & Lovage.jpg

My understanding is fennel is a closer relation to dill and carrots. Fennel and dill shouldn't be grown close to each other if the seeds are to be used for flavoring food or beverages.

For me it is handy when celery is wanted in a recipe. From spring to fall it is available in the garden. It can also be dried for use later. My favorite part is how it calms indigestion.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Fennel and dill shouldn't be grown close to each other if the seeds are to be used for flavoring food or beverages.
    I didn't know that...interesting!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

There are a number of plants that will cross flavors. I've been told that growing hot peppers by sweet peppers can make them hot, so I'm doing that and hoping it works.

Our herb beds are separated by a few feet and we're careful what we plant together or nearby.

Learned something new here I always thought soy sauce was Japanese.
    Bill D

There are soy sauces from lots of places, and many different styles, including regional variations. If you go into an oriental market, there will be a huge selection and they are all different. I don't have a preference, other than ultra low sodium.

I did not know that soy sauce is over 2,000 years old! One of the oldest condiments other than salt itself and vinegar.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    I did not know that soy sauce is over 2,000 years old! One of the oldest condiments other than salt itself and vinegar.
    For some parts of the world, it was probably easier to come by for seasoning than actual salt...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My hot chilli pepper sauce which not made in Chillie, and not even made by Red Hot Chillie Peppers, it's from Russia :j

That explains misspelling "chile."

15. Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Lisowski View Post
    I used to go to a Japanese steakhouse/hibachi restaurant and asked a few chefs what part of Japan they were from and everyone said China.
    Haha, in Texas they are all from Mexico.