Thread: change default file locations

change default file locations

I looked and search to no luck. I have corel 2017 and want to setup different open and save locations. Any ideas?
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Matheny View Post
    I looked and search to no luck. I have corel 2017 and want to setup different open and save locations. Any ideas?
    Not sure what you need. I make a new folder for each job (in Windows), and add sub folders if needed. SAVE AS your work in each for the first file anyway.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

What I want is when I open Corel it opens (This Pc / documents) file structure I want it to be (This Pc / Data (E / lazermodels / Models) same thing for when I save a file. THen I can add a folder or save as I want but it is all in the correct location saving steps and making it easier for others.
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe

I'm not sure how to set the default open location, but you can add locations to the "Pinned" list to the left of many Windows File-Open/Save dialogs. Right click in there and click "Pin to Quick Access". Then you can just click the button to get to your Models folder.

I do not have "Pin to" in my choices. Looks like you have a E:\ (drive) your want to Name as E:\Data then Create Directories, Folders and sub Folders In Windows Explorer is the only way I know.
    Last edited by Bill George; 06-05-2018 at 1:19 PM.

@Bill- Make sure you're right clicking on the "Quick Access" heading in the left hand pane.

It may be a Windows 10 only thing. I thought I remembered Windows 7 having it but I can't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert McMahan View Post
    @Bill- Make sure you're right clicking on the "Quick Access" heading in the left hand pane.

It may be a Windows 10 only thing. I thought I remembered Windows 7 having it but I can't remember.
    Nope and I do not need anyway as my stuff is organized as I stated above. I learned to be organized back in the MS-DOS days. No issues.

I'm using Win7 and while there may be a better way I don't know about, I just map the folders and/or files I want quick access to as network drives...
    Drive letters A and B are 'open' these days, so my drive A is mapped to my main Corel Jobs folder, and my drive B is mapped to my most-used customer folder.

--so whenever I access 'Windows Explorer' or 'my computer' (same thing), I get this:
    drivelist.jpg
    --Since the drive LETTERS are are listed alphabetically rather than the drive NAMES,
    'Corel' and my 'Un-named Customer' folder are at the top of the list right after 'computer', easy peasy...

--as noted above, you can also pin folders to the task bar...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Nope and I do not need anyway as my stuff is organized as I stated above. I learned to be organized back in the MS-DOS days. No issues.
    It's not about organizing, it's about navigating through your entire organization tree each time you click the Open menu. If he keeps his files at C:\Laser\Finished\Client A\Project 1\Laser art.cdl he would have to click 6 times to get to his folder, despite it being organized. I was saying he can add a shortcut link to "Client A\Project 1" if he's working on the same handful of files a lot, or at least to C:\Laser instead of defaulting to showing the desktop.

It's also not pinning a folder to the task bar, it's pinning it to the Quick Access bar that appears in the Open dialog.

For example, I have a folder located at C:\Users\Bert\Desktop\Laser projects\Laser mods\80W Upgrade\Frame modification for example. If I'm working in that folder a bunch, I can open my "Open Drawing" window, then right click where it says "Quick Access" then click "Pin current folder to Quick access" like so:

Then, every time I invoke the File -> Open dialog, I have a link that takes me directly to that folder:

I can click that and get straight to my working folder.

I only need to click "Open" and all my laser files are under.... Laserwork then subfolder for John Deere / JobName. Not an issue 3 clicks counting Open.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    I only need to click "Open" and all my laser files are under.... Laserwork then subfolder for John Deere / JobName. Not an issue 3 clicks counting Open.
    Jeez Bill!! It's clear that you don't have enough folders. Fix it such that you have to click 7 or 8 times to get to what you want. What are you possibly thinkin'?
    Hobby Laser - 1800 X 1300 dual tube Shenhui (100 and 80W)

According to Corel there is no way to change the official open or save location automatically. I did do the pin to the side and removed all the stuff I didn't need. Bill this is not about getting organized it is about less clicks to get to the main folder area we use and that is very well organized.
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Matheny View Post
    According to Corel there is no way to change the official open or save location automatically. I did do the pin to the side and removed all the stuff I didn't need. Bill this is not about getting organized it is about less clicks to get to the main folder area we use and that is very well organized.
    Well Craig I gave you my suggestion, and my files are 3 clicks away, I guess that would qualify as organized,

Guess what you can change default file locations in 2018 that will help in 5 years when I upgrade
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe