Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Job site tablesaw

Job site tablesaw

What job site tablesaw would you recommend. I am a part time wood worker.

I've had a Craftsman for years that I carry to points on the farm here when I build something. However, I bought a new DeWalt just this week. A contractor friend recommended this one as he has had one for years. I love the rack&pinion fence adjustment and some of the other features. Less than $400. I'm still using the Craftsman but the DeWalt is higher quality.

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 06-15-2018 at 10:00 AM.

I bought a Dewalt DW745 for a house remodel. It handled everything I gave it including ripping 45 degree angles on 20' boards.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Michael, you didn't mention budget. Dewalt makes a very good jobsite saw. Even without the obvious safety feature, SawStop makes an even better one.

I like my dewalt. Can't say I've used any other portable ones though.

Bosch with the gravity rise stand.
    I had one for a couple years and it was a darn good saw to use.
    The color is very pleasing too
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Bosch with the gravity rise stand.
    I had one for a couple years and it was a darn good saw to use.
    The color is very pleasing too
    Andrew I have a Dewalt and love the color. I use it so seldom it's easier for me to find in my garage. If you saw my garage you would understand. I went in there once and it took three days to get out.
    Jim

I completely understand. This is a very common problem that's not talked about spouses want to store stuff and park their ride's in our woodshop.
    Thus creating the need for highly visible mobile equipment
    Aj

I have a DeWalt with folding legs. It's handled anything I've thrown at it. My neighbor has the Bosch, borrowed it before I got the DeWalt and it was also fine. I think it came down to how much I wanted to spend. I think you'll find that they are all about the same.

Makita. Mine was made in the USA, GA. Probably they continue to be made there. Great: precise from factory, quiter than competition and powerful. Strongly recommended.

+1 for the Dewalt. I had that before I got a "real" saw and loved it. I had the one with the geared fence which kept it perfectly aligned.

Question - Are you buying a portable jobsite saw because you need to sling it from site to site routinely, or because it fits your budget/space? The lion's share of performance advantages go to a full size stationary saw with a belt drive induction motor....you give up a lot in comparison for the sake of portability. If you need the portability, the DW, Bosch, and Ridgid are the perennial top dogs, and will do the job. If it's because of budget, consider a good used full size saw instead.

Last edited by scott spencer; 06-13-2018 at 5:32 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I have a rigid and it is a decent saw. I decided to buy a contractor saw so don't use the rigid very much. Where are you located?

I’m going from a older contractor saw my dad bought in 1960. It’s a magna 710 tablesaw magna is no longer in business. So going to be moving soon don’t want to take it with me. I’m thinking portable something newer. Price wise 500.00 top of my budget. I read some information on the skillsaw worm drive tablesaw. One thing I’ve heard is these saws are loud. I’ve read reviews people say the table is not flat,the fence won’t stay put. That’s what I am thinking.

I agree 100%. The older Makita saws were great, I used one on several large house projects and like the smoothness of use, precision and it was much quieter
    than other comparable saws. I'm into light and quiet and the Makita #2703 was both and durable too.
    Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Osvaldo Cristo View Post
    Makita. Mine was made in the USA, GA. Probably they continue to be made there. Great: precise from factory, quiter than competition and powerful. Strongly recommended.
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 06-13-2018 at 8:37 PM.

I decided on the DeWalt 7491RS. It will handle an 8" dado stack up to 13/16" wide. I also find the rack and pinion fence solid and locks securely. The ability to rip up to 32.5" to the right of the blade is nice to have. Dust collection is absolutely excellent. The saw has all of the adjustments to align the miter slots and the fence parallel to the blade and can be set up very precisely. The splayed legs make this saw rock solid when set up. All of the accessories store securely on board and when folded, it stores compactly in my "shop".

It is on the loud side, but all universal motor powered saws are. As pointed out in an earlier reply, the largest negative for me is the smaller infeed capability, but one has to compromise for the portability. I have run full kerf Forrest WWII blades and gotten glass smooth glue ready edges on ripped boards.

I had to give up my old Unisaw that I owned for 20 years when I downsized a few years ago. After having gone a few years without a table saw, the DeWalt has been a welcome addition and is a joy to use. I added a quickly removable outfeed table to it and it fits my needs perfectly and will handle many tasks with solid performance. While I don't the have the need to take it to job sites, I do need to have compact storage that a cabinet saw just won't allow. It really comes down to your needs and budget. I would only say not to be afraid of the lowly job site saw DW7491RS
    DW7491RS.jpg
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 06-14-2018 at 11:40 AM.
    Dick Mahany.