Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maloofish Finish mistake - too thick.... Suggestions?

Maloofish Finish mistake - too thick.... Suggestions?

Oil/Varnish Finish....whatever it's called.

Hello all,

So I've been working a very nice and very large white oak slab bar top for a family winery that is set to open end of next week. I get it sanded and put a very thin coat of Blo/Poly/Mineral Spirits on it last Thursday before I left on vacation. There were a couple spots that needed resanding, so I left some instructions for my dad who has been helping me with this project. I didn't leave clear enough instructions on the finishing. I thought I said very thin and wipe off, but he ended up brushing it on like it was straight up poly. Here we sit 4 days or so later and its still splotchy and sticky in a few places. I tried rubbing it with mineral spirits last night to try and speed up the process.

What I am looking for is suggestions on how to get this dried so I can sand out the bubbles and smooth it out and get back to my finishing schedule. Next step is just plain oil based poly. Wanted the Maloof mix to pop the figure, but need to build up a bit of poly to protect the top as it will see a lot of use and a lot of spills.

Thoughts? Ideas? I need to be putting the final coat on next Wednesday at the latest.
    Last edited by Dave Haughs; 06-07-2018 at 2:48 PM.

How are you 'rubbing it with mineral spirits'?

If a shop towel moistened with MS does not remove the stickiness, then I would next try to soak a nonwoven abrasive with it. If that does not work, you may have to resort to more aggressive sanding.

I'm just concerned any sanding will make a mess and glob it up. But it's worth a try!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Haughs View Post
    Hello all,

So I've been working a very nice and very large white oak slab bar top for a family winery that is set to open end of next week. I get it sanded and put a very thin coat of Blo/Poly/Mineral Spirits on it last Thursday before I left on vacation. There were a couple spots that needed resanding, so I left some instructions for my dad who has been helping me with this project. I didn't leave clear enough instructions on the finishing. I thought I said very thin and wipe off, but he ended up brushing it on like it was straight up poly. Here we sit 4 days or so later and its still splotchy and sticky in a few places. I tried rubbing it with mineral spirits last night to try and speed up the process.

What I am looking for is suggestions on how to get this dried so I can sand out the bubbles and smooth it out and get back to my finishing schedule. Next step is just plain oil based poly. Wanted the Maloof mix to pop the figure, but need to build up a bit of poly to protect the top as it will see a lot of use and a lot of spills.

Thoughts? Ideas? I need to be putting the final coat on next Wednesday at the latest.
    Sorry. This is not the Maloof Finish/Mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Goodhew View Post
    Whatever it's called.... Oil/Varnish blend.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Goodhew View Post
    Whatever it's called.... Oil/Varnish blend.
    I believe he was generalizing. Sam's own formula changed over the years.

To your problem, having laid it on to thick in the past myself i was able to rub the surface with rags damp with mineral spirits and then wait about a month for the finish to cure. Once hardened I was able to rub it out (finish the finish) like any hard film finish. If it is really thick I might consider just stripping it down and starting again.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Strip it off and start again with a proper coating system. What you have used is not up to it. This job really needs a commercial grade finish. It will give you speedy application, excellent build and long term durability. Get a 2 pack polyurethane clear. 2 coats and you are done. Visit an auto or industrial paint supplier. Cheers

I find it quick and easy to remove even gummy finish with a card scraper.

Got lucky. It was still tacky last night but I was able to sand it.

Wayne,
    I don't want a glossy shiny top. This is a very rustic place and we want the bar top to show some signs of wear over time to match the rest of the decor. I can always touch it up later as well. I'm not even a fan of the poly, but lacquer just isn't enough. So this was my compromise.

Thanks for the tips.

Good luck, Dave. Sounds like you know what you're doing. Send pix of the final product.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Good luck, Dave. Sounds like you know what you're doing. Send pix of the final product.
    Let's not get carried away! I can fake it with the best of them. Hopefully finished early next week. Have a lot of other furniture I am building there as well. Plan to post it all up when it's done.

Dave, polyurethane is available is low gloss. On white oak, two coats is not a full finish. For me, any oak is traditionally somewhat open finished which celebrates the natural character of the timber.

Its good you are able to sand the job. Stripping is a s...house job at the best of times. Cheers

Blog Entries
    Got lucky. It was still tacky last night but I was able to sand it.
    awe---some.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Btw, I think the “maloofish” edit is brilliant. I hope you had your tongue in your cheek as you did that! Heaven forbid you misrepresent the real version.

The typical solution with stuff like this is UV. It needs more UV light... Aka real sunlight. Get it near a sunny window or some such for several days. It will usually cure out and be fine.

Then - level sand it and polish it out... Good to go.