Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dovetailing on an angle

Those are some beautiful dovetails and a beautiful piece! I have made some compound angle dovetails, but these make my head hurt just looking at them!

DC--thanks for the detailed presentation and great photos.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I was in two minds whether to post this, but since the method is a practice, it would be great to get feedback, since the strategy I have come up with is complex. Can you do this another way?
    Another way? Yes. I think it is much easier just to cut the dovetail on an angle without all the rigamarole.

dovetail angled.jpgdovetail.jpg

No rigmarole. Words to live by!!

A lot of work, but I can't think of another way if you don't want to cut the dovetail baseline on an angle. I am always amazed at the solutions you come up with for things!

Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    Another way? Yes. I think it is much easier just to cut the dovetail on an angle without all the rigamarole.

dovetail angled.jpgdovetail.jpg
    Warren, I have used that method before, and it is not one I would like for 24 drawers.

My aim was to find a reliable method. Although it looks complicated owing to the rebate, on one, and the bevel, on the other, these strategies simplified the construction by creating flats, and enable the avoidance of mating bevels. The relevance here is when you face the sides of the drawer - is there a gap where the edges meet?

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 06-14-2018 at 10:13 AM.

Nice work, Derek. I ran into that problem on my curved front drawers in the gallery of my secretary. I struggled through the first two drawers with poorly fit dove tails, then took the easy way out and made the rest of the drawers with through dove tails with applied fronts. I like your way better. Bob Glenn
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.