Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Veritas Rabbit Plane

Veritas Rabbit Plane

Does anyone here use one? I started using mine for the first time this morning and ran into problems. About half way through everything started loosening up and my width and blade settings were way off. I don't want to use pliers to tighten it up but the knurled knobs don't seem to be cutting it.

I have the "Jack Rabbet", which has a fence with the knurled collets to lock it down. They do have a tendency to slip if you only hand-tighten, which will ruin the work. So I snug them down with channel locks, using a plastic bag or something like that as a shield to keep the jaws from damaging the knobs. That works well enough.

Mine do not slip, especially after I sanded the rods with 400 grit. This removed the shine and created a little bite.

I did make a special wrench, however, since sometimes it becomes difficult to undo the collets as they get really tight. This can be used to tighten as well as untighten two sized collets ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    I also have the Veritas Jack Rabbet, and I love it, but I do agree that the Veritas knobs do tend to slip, as with my plow plane. What I do is put a tiny dab of BLUE (not red!) thread locker on the knob and let it dry, then screw the knob in- note: Not the way thread locker normally works, which is you put it on wet and screw it in and it dries connected. Instead I let it dry first, and the thread locker on the threads helps add some friction and snug them up.

I too have the LV jack and skew rabbet planes, although I haven't experienced any slipping difficultly I sometimes use this plastic fuse puller to snug up or loosen the knobs on planes. You can find it in the electrical departments of almost all hardware stores. https://www.amazon.com/Cooper-Bussma...70_&dpSrc=srch

Great ideas and I'm glad I'm not the only one to have this problem. Misery loves company. I think I'll try sandpaper and possibly leather faced pliers before the thread locker.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Mine do not slip, especially after I sanded the rods with 400 grit. This removed the shine and created a little bite.

I did make a special wrench, however, since sometimes it becomes difficult to undo the collets as they get really tight. This can be used to tighten as well as untighten two sized collets ...

Regards from Perth

Derek
    I really like those tools Derek. I may make one some day.

Blog Entries
    This is not something to only happen with the Veritas planes. My Record #778 Rabbet plane and some of my Stanley #45s have had this problem.

One of my solutions when doing a lot of work with these was to develop the habit of checking the screws on the return stroke. One stroke would be half the screws and the next would be the other half.

Eventually I would give them a little extra turning force with a tool like Derek posted or very carefully with a small pair of pliers.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

How old is your plane?

Mine is old (first batch as soon as it came out, same for the plow plane) and still has the old knobs that don't slip whatever. Hand tightened just fine. I won't suggest you are not using it right though I have seen some not using the plane as designed. But I heard that the new planes have new knobs that have more "leaves" inside to address the occasional slipping issue. Check with their customer service to see if you can get the new ones.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    How old is your plane?

Mine is old (first batch as soon as it came out, same for the plow plane) and still has the old knobs that don't slip whatever. Hand tightened just fine. I won't suggest you are not using it right though I have seen some not using the plane as designed. But I heard that the new planes have new knobs that have more "leaves" inside to address the occasional slipping issue. Check with their customer service to see if you can get the new ones.

Simon
    Thank you. I'll do that.

I have had a Veritas Jack Rabbet for 3 years now and haven't had any real problems with slipping. Having a good bit of experience with a Stanley 45 I know to keep the rods and compression screws clean of oil and residue from use. I clean the inside of the compression fittings before use because of the oil I put on them when put away. Even when clean if you hit a hard spot that causes you to twist the plane or if you inadvertently twist the plane in use you can move the adjustments.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    I have the Skew Rabbet. I ended up making a screw driver slot in the knob top so I could tighten or loosen it. The Skew is even harder to get to hold settings, particularly the scoring wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    The Skew is even harder to get to hold settings, particularly the scoring wheel.
    It happened because you made the common mistake:you did not retighten the locking screw after setting the wheel. The locking screw is on the other side, it is not the screw in the nicker.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 06-14-2018 at 10:24 AM.

The scoring wheel has no settings that I recall. I'll take a closer look when I get home.
    I used a piece of leather and pliers to tighten the fence and everything went smoothly after making sure the blade was aligned with the scoring wheel which is a little proud of the body.

20180614_073620[1].jpg20180614_074040[1].jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hutchings View Post
    The scoring wheel has no settings that I recall. I'll take a closer look when I get home.
    ]
    Take a look at the manual instead. It is laid out there how to do the setting. It is in our dna not to read the manual before we use our tools!

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 06-14-2018 at 10:25 AM.