Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laser Tape Measure

Laser Tape Measure

Looking to get a Laser Tape Measure (e.g. Bosch GLM 20). Any that you like or hate? If there has already been a lengthy discussion on this can you point me to it.

thanks!

Blog Entries
    Something to consider is that at long distances in a bright light condition (outside or in a brightly lit building), the laser dot can be impossible to see. Even at 100' they can be unusable. My first one was a good quality Fluke, but it just wasn't very useful to me because of that. This is a problem common to all the lower cost laser distance meters.

After much research, I ended up getting a Leica E7500 (I think that's the model). What's different about it is that it's got a 4x zoom camera in it with cross hairs that you use to aim at the point you are measuring to. It is amazing how well it works. Range is about 600' & is accurate to 1/16" Although with the longer distances you need a tripod or something solid to steady it on cause it's impossible to hold it still enough just by hand. Oh, and it's not cheap either.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Stahl View Post
    Looking to get a Laser Tape Measure (e.g. Bosch GLM 20). Any that you like or hate? If there has already been a lengthy discussion on this can you point me to it.

thanks!
    I absolutely love mine. I have a DLR165K from about 10 years ago and have bought a couple of 130Ks for gifts for builder friends. I haven't used the GLM-20 but I suspect it will also be good. Mine is consistently good to 1/16" while the GLM-20 indicates 1/8"

This is perfect for planning in existing spaces, easily done with a measuring tape but that often needs a helper. I used it extensively when building my shop - use it to measure, cut, and install - always perfect. For example when installing 2x6 wall studs in the non-load-bearing walls (post and beam) I'd put down the plates, mark the spacing, then go down the line with the laser and measure and write down each stud length. Cut, install - perfect fit every time.

I've used it quite a bit outside and it works even when I can't see or can barely see the red dot. (I'd buy one with a green laser if Bosch made one.) Once I used it to measure the distance from the ground to an overhead power line. It was a little tricky to hold still and took a few tries to hit the wire but it worked. It does have a tripod socket that I should have used for that!

I like the audio feedback, accuracy, the tripod socket, the several reference surfaces, and the pin extension that lets me measure from a recess or a corner. I don't know if other models have the similar features. Most of them will calculate areas and angles and such but I never use those - I'd rather use paper and pencil.

I looked quickly at the Leica models and they do look good. If I ever build that new barn I might consider one.

JKJ

I have the Bosch model. Don't know the model but it is the small one with one red button. Use it all the time for work; writing estimates for insurance claims. Cost around $50-60 moolah and very accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    I have the Bosch model. Don't know the model but it is the small one with one red button. Use it all the time for work; writing estimates for insurance claims. Cost around $50-60 moolah and very accurate.
    That's more in my price range. Thanks for posting everyone so far.

Bosch's GLM50c seems to me to be the sweet spot in terms of range, accuracy and price. Usually can be found for $140 or even less on fleaBay.

It's accurate within 1/16" out to around 150 feet, has a rotating display that is really easy to read - maybe the best I've seen on these things. It can also be used as a level.

The 20, while cheap, isn't accurate enough for serious work.

I have the Bosch GLM50c (LINK) and love it! Nothing is more convenient for measuring out rooms/windows/spaces for bookshelves/cabinets/entertainment centers/etc. I find coutless uses for it!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

+2 on the GLM50c. I especially like the measureon app for my phone that lets me overlay measurements on photos (measurements sent from the laser device to my phone via bluetooth). I think it would be better with a tablet due to the bigger screen size, however.

Thanks for all the replies!

have a hilti for roughly 10yrs now .time saver for carpentry/construction . i was using it off a ladder to measure for studs fast on a remodel yesterday .I would think they would have a better one though .I would get one with a light .Hard to read mine sometimes .big clear numbers would be important .And checkout the buttons .mine can be stiff .imagine reaching and balancing on a ladder and the hit the button without flinching.Oh and on and off button is not protected .dang things battery dies do to being turned on when in storage [even in it's case].love it for laying base .swear i am going to replace it with something else often .

If you just want to try one, ACE has a small Dewalt for sale at $19.95 for Fathers Day. I have the Stanley version, biggest issue is loosing it all the time due to size. Works very well for inside work and is quite accurate. Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Rude View Post
    If you just want to try one, ACE has a small Dewalt for sale at $19.95 for Fathers Day. I have the Stanley version, biggest issue is loosing it all the time due to size. Works very well for inside work and is quite accurate. Dan

Um, no it’s not.

1/4” over 30 ft. is the kind of accuracy I can get from eyeballing a space without a tape measure. That’s not even accurate enough for rough framing a shed in my world. No way you could rely on that for crown or baseboard or even measuring inside a cabinet for cutting a new shelf.

At 20 bucks they’ll sell a ton of them with the Dewalt name on it.

I bought a Bosch GLM 36. Will let you know what I think of it when I get it. Spent a little more than I wanted but if it works as well as it says then that's good. Thanks for all the replies/

1/4" at 30 feet ,thats funny . https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Compact...asurement+tool . this might become my next one or something like it . simple ,easy to use and nice price .

Quote Originally Posted by joseph f merz View Post
    1/4" at 30 feet ,thats funny . https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Compact...asurement+tool . this might become my next one or something like it . simple ,easy to use and nice price .
    My old Bosch DLR165K is consistently good to better than 1/16". Worse than that might be OK for estimating materials or rough work but I wouldn't want to use it for carpentry.