Thread: Rubber wood treatment

Question Rubber wood treatment

Hello Dudes,
    I am a new in here. Big enthusiast of wood working. That's the reason I have joint your forum or club, you name it, after searching and finding lots of useful informations in here.
    Well, the reason I have decided to post, is, recently have started a project of turning an old pallet made of rubber wood, into nice looking shelf.
    As you may understand, this pallet was used in many places before it arrived into my friend's workshop. The fate it had is to get dismantled and burnt in the fireplace. So I have decided to use it for making shelf instead of burning.
    The only thing I did not think of was, how to get rid off those termites already settled in that pallet wood.
    Almost entire material being prepared and cut in required sizes. Half of the job being done by cutting joints that will fit with no use of screw or nail. Sanded and ready for assembly. Finally I came to understand, that the termites are still alive, the dust keeps falling and falling from those tiny little holes they make. I was thinking of treating it with heat, but was afraid of damaging the wood pattern.
    Could anyone give me a suggestion of how to get rid off those termites and how to protect it from further attack?
    Thanks a lot in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorigto Gomboev View Post
    Hello Dudes,
    I am a new in here. Big enthusiast of wood working. That's the reason I have joint your forum or club, you name it, after searching and finding lots of useful informations in here.
    Well, the reason I have decided to post, is, recently have started a project of turning an old pallet made of rubber wood, into nice looking shelf.
    As you may understand, this pallet was used in many places before it arrived into my friend's workshop. The fate it had is to get dismantled and burnt in the fireplace. So I have decided to use it for making shelf instead of burning.
    The only thing I did not think of was, how to get rid off those termites already settled in that pallet wood.
    Almost entire material being prepared and cut in required sizes. Half of the job being done by cutting joints that will fit with no use of screw or nail. Sanded and ready for assembly. Finally I came to understand, that the termites are still alive, the dust keeps falling and falling from those tiny little holes they make. I was thinking of treating it with heat, but was afraid of damaging the wood pattern.
    Could anyone give me a suggestion of how to get rid off those termites and how to protect it from further attack?
    Thanks a lot in advance.

You can take all the stock outside, wrap it in heavy mil plastic and throw in a whole box of moth balls and leave it for several days. Wear a respirator and nitrile when you do it. When you open it, leave the stock outside for a few days to fully out-gas before taking it back into the shop to work on it.

On another note, I don't take anything with termites anywhere near my shop. There is too much good wood in the world that won't potentially bring problems.
    Stuart Kent
    Founding Director of the North Carolina Furniture School
    Robust, Rikon, Harvey, & Easy Wood Tools Dealer
    252-916-8226

I would burn that pallet sounds like it's infested. Look for wood before it becomes pallet. There's just too many problems with pallet wood.
    Aj

I thought rubber wood smelled like burning tires when it was burned?

Welcome Zorigto! I am glad you have joined us!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I would burn that pallet sounds like it's infested. Look for wood before it becomes pallet. There's just too many problems with pallet wood.
    Agreed, take it out to the back 40 and burn it (safely). There's metal, there's grit, that will chew up your tools, and there's who knows what alien creatures in there, just burn it. It's not worth your time.

Termites in pallet wood? Don't care if it's ebony pallet wood-burn it.

Powder post beetles?

Quote Originally Posted by Zorigto Gomboev View Post
    Finally I came to understand, that the termites are still alive, the dust keeps falling and falling from those tiny little holes they make. I was thinking of treating it with heat, but was afraid of damaging the wood pattern.
    Dust falling from tiny holes? This sounds like powder post beetles instead of termites. I don't know what is common in your area but here the beetles make very tiny holes. You can read about them here: https://entomology.ca.uky.edu/ef616

If they are powder post beetles, the best way to get rid of them is with heat:
    From the WoodWeb:
    "Heat (over 130 F for 24 hours or more is required) is very effective in killing the eggs and the insects. After the insects lay their eggs, it may be up to two years before they hatch, so be careful about an inspection that shows no further damage--there can be more in a while."
    Gene Wengert, forum technical advisor

Once they are dead the wood will be fine except it will have little holes.

JKJ