Thread: OT: Search term for "Band saw" or bandsaw

OT: Search term for "Band saw" or bandsaw

I am having a hard time searching ebay and craigs list for "band saw" or bandsaw. I know how to do a either or search inside parenthesis. Bandsaw one word is about 3/4 of the postings but it misses "band saw". because "band saw" is two words the either or search does not seem to work.
    Probably need some quotes in there somewhere.
    Bill D.

To search for a Rikon bandsaw, type -
    rikon (bandsaw,band saw)
    If you add quotes to <band saw>, it will treat the words as one word, but it's not needed within the example above.
    HTH
    Doug, the "Wood Loon"
    Acton, MA

72, slow road cyclist, woodworking dabbler, tool junkie , and
    bonsai enthusiast.
    Now, if I could just stay focused longer than a few weeks...

Don't forget to try Ban Saw and/or Bansaw. I've gotten a few deals by using misspelled words in my search. Usually on purpose, but sometimes I just messed up and got lucky!!
    earl

I do what Earl does. I've searched for vices using "vice" and "vise", and got lucky, in the right way.

Doug got you sorted out on the syntax.

Aside from that, I use Searchtempest for Craigslist to quickly search the entire area I am willing to drive to. With eBay there is far too much bandsaw/band saw stuff to just stay generic I add the brands to my searches. With CL it is best to set up alerts though as the good deals often go really quickly.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I too have experienced the pain of having to search like this.

On CL, use band saw, then next combine words to bandsaw. Also do the same with ban saw. I often look at Kitchen Aid mixer, and by combining the words kitchenaid there are many more choices listed

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl McLain View Post
    Don't forget to try Ban Saw and/or Bansaw. I've gotten a few deals by using misspelled words in my search. Usually on purpose, but sometimes I just messed up and got lucky!!
    earl
    You would be surprised by the number of deals and sometimes high prices under listings like Stanely.

Misspelled searches are a good way to find deals that do not have as many viewers or bidders.

Bandsaw brought back 11,820 results, if that isn't getting what your looking for, maybe what you want isn't available.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)