Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very old recording time-corrected.

Blog Entries

Very old recording time-corrected.

I think this is a fascinating technology, but having just stumbled across it a day or so ago, perhaps it's last week's news. It isn't perfect, but it's pretty darn close.
    They manage to correct the speed of the footage while at the same time producing a very sharp image.

https://youtu.be/aohXOpKtns0

I enjoyed that. Thanks!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I can only wonder what the people in those film reels would have thought if they could have glimpsed the future and seen the world we live in!
    Thanks for sharing it.
    Edwin

Oldest recording, 1860, 50 years before your film: link below. It was never designed to be listened to just squiggles on paper to be studied. similar to a seismograph recording.
    Bill D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRXayuBa7ZI
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 06-11-2018 at 10:54 AM.

Whoever fixed this did a fantastic job. The sound and action seem very normal which is unusual for this vintage of flick.

It's notable that everyone is wearing hats and they're just coming out of the fashion age where everyone was wearing black. While still a lot of black, there is quite a bit of light colored clothing as well.

Wow cool video! The horse droppings everywhere must have been a normal part of life. The people walking over them didn't even look down to avoid stepping in it. The woman mostly wore white dresses long enough to wipe there heels.
    I see why the shoe shiners at 5:00 minutes in were so packed with customers!
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

I read somewhere that 100,000 horses in New York City in the late 1800s caused a manure crisis requiring the removal of 13 tons of manure daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    I read somewhere that 100,000 horses in New York City in the late 1800s caused a manure crisis requiring the removal of 13 tons of manure daily.
    Nowadays the manure crisis seems to be in Washington D.C.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Nowadays the manure crisis seems to be in Washington D.C.
    Made me laugh out loud!
    - Henry Ford

Great video! Clothiers sold a lot of suits back then.
    Here’s another classic walk through time, a trip up San Francisco’s Market Street in 1906.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YRbMMqj0qw
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Great video! Clothiers sold a lot of suits back then.
    Here’s another classic walk through time, a trip up San Francisco’s Market Street in 1906.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YRbMMqj0qw
    fast forward to 2017:
    https://youtu.be/bembJahfx4w
    - Henry Ford

Speaking of Washington DC. The city was built in a malaria infested swamp. Conditions were so reprehensible that British diplomats received tropical hazard bonuses with their pay. The roads were mud pocked with pot holes. In certain down town areas, streets were covered with wooden block cobble stones. In late July and early August when the summer thunderstorms roll through almost daily, the collection of manure on the wet wooden surfaced streets left everything a fetid stinking slippery mess. The reflecting pond between the Lincoln and Washington Memorials was actually dug out to obtain fill and to drain the swamp. I lived in suburban Virginia for 20 years. When I moved there in the early 1970's, Blacks still had to go to the back of the bus when the bus crossed the Potomac into Virginia.

When I was in high school, we measured the speed of a falling object by having it pull a strip of paper over a pully with an ink spot on it. As the paper fed through, each revolution of the pully made a single spot on the paper. I forget the fine points of the rest of the experiment, but we figured it out with 99% accuracy.

What is really noticeable is the haziness of the air in all of the long views. Electric generation was probably local, I looked through my 1912 Standard Wiring book to see if AC or DC was dominant at the time but couldn't pin down what New York was up to at the time. Plus any manufacturer in the city had their own coal fired powerhouse to run equipment.

The auto shown smokes- a lot. How much did cars smoke? For an example see the 1913 short The Speed Kings:

http://theoldmotor.com/?p=69190

The short itself is silly and a bit of a waste. Race buffs will want to skip to 1:30 to see a glimpse of Barney Oldfield and other racers of the day, 2:30 to see the start of the race, 4:10 to watch a pit stop (tire change and probably loading another 55 gallon drum of oil). Well, as much as can be seen through all the smoke! It had to be tough if you weren't in the lead.

Luckily in New York the smoke didn't look so bad that you couldn't see what you were stepping in.

-Tom

I have read that quite a few horses died in their harness every day. the city had to haul those off as well. When cars first came out in the city they were keep off the property at a shop just like the horses for sanitation and smell reasons. Similar to flush toilets installed in the back yard. who would want a toilet inside a house?
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 06-14-2018 at 12:13 AM.

Very enjoyable films....what a change from today, everyone dressed in suits, and not a huge person to be seen. Where did we go so wrong?