Thread: Wheeled marking gauge

Wheeled marking gauge

I'm looking for some input on wheeled marking gauges I need to replace my old & cheap shop fox. I have been looking at Veritas micro adj. & Lie Nielson Tite mark if you have either one tell me what your likes or dislikes are or if you have some other brand enlighten me on it. I know if I wait until 2019 I could try both them out at Hand Works but that a long time away.

Thanks!!

I have the Tight Mark gauge manufactured by Glen-Drake that LN handles. I like it, it is easy to use the micro adjust feature with one hand which is very convenient. There are several mortise blades available that make it pretty versatile.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Allen (AJ) Breese View Post
    I'm looking for some input on wheeled marking gauges I need to replace my old & cheap shop fox. I have been looking at Veritas micro adj. & Lie Nielson Tite mark if you have either one tell me what your likes or dislikes are or if you have some other brand enlighten me on it. I know if I wait until 2019 I could try both them out at Hand Works but that a long time away.
    I have the TiteMark, and it is excellent. There are some YouTube videos floating around comparing it to the Veritas. Watching them, I'm sticking with what I have. Adjust for your own priorities. (I haven't used the Veritas, and I'm not sure why I would.)

There are some cheap asian copies of the TiteMark floating around, their sharpness, and sharpening them, may be (and reportedly is) an issue, as you probably know.

I have two LV microadjust. They work well. No complaints whatsoever.
    I've read good things about the tightmark.
    I doubt you could go wrong purchasing either.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I 've not used the Tite Mark, but know that many consider it the gold standard. I do have the Lee Valley Micro Adjust and the Jessem Wood Sabre. Both are excellent, but I find myself reaching for the Jessem more often. I like the way it dials in a given value, and it has a larger reference face that rides along the edge of the wood. Overall, its size fits my hand better.

I have a Titemark and would own no other, but then again, my experience with others is limited! So take my comments with a grain of salt, and if the gage you are using work, stick with it!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Blog Entries
    After buying a Tite Mark and a Veritas gauge, they were compared:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....as-Wheel-Gauge

Since then my Veritas has been sold.

Occasionally it seems reasonable to purchase another Tite Mark, but then the old Stanley wooden pin gauges handle the job well and my thoughts move on.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Yes, I have a few. I generally use a few at a time when I am building to transfer measurements.

The Tite-Mark and the new Veritas micro adjust are both excellent gauges. I own two TMs and began using the Veritas in pre-production form. These gauges have different strengths and weaknesses. Nothing is perfect.

What I like about the TM is that it is fully adjustable with one hand. That is important to me. The downside is that it can be a little fiddly when you want to set up quickly.

What I like about the Veritas is the wide fence/head, which offers more reference than the TM, and that it works fast - unless you need the micro adjust. Then you need a second hand.

Most if the time I do not need a micro adjust. My most used gauges do not have them. Of the wheel gauges, my favourite is one not made any longer - the two on the right ...

These adjust with a squeeze of the fingers. That is enough. And they are Fast!

The thing about the Veritas micro adjust is that it is the same gauge but with a micro adjust at the end. So you have a choice of using it with .. or without. Setting up the exact thickness for dovetailing is this easy ...

It depends on your style. If you are a "dropper", as above, wanting to go directly to the sizing, then get the Veritas. If you are a "twiddler", and like the slower method of sneaking up, the get the TM. They both get you there in the end.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    If you are a "dropper", as above, wanting to go directly to the sizing, then get the Veritas. If you are a "twiddler", and like the slower method of sneaking up, the get the TM. They both get you there in the end.
    The TM works fine with the drop method, it just has two thumb screws to tighten. If one wants to mark a little proud, it is easy to tighten the back thumb screw, then give a little turn to the adjustment and tighten the second thumb screw.

As you say, they can all get to where one wants them in the end.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Personally, I've not found any gauge better than the TiteMark. I've got two of them in my tool chest, plus about a dozen others. The Titemarks get used every day, and the others only come out whenever I need to set more than two marks!

TedP

Blog Entries
    I have suspected that the Titemark would be preferable to the Veritas, but the non adjustable Veritas has been on my bench for several years. I find it easy to sharpen the cutter and doubt that the Tightmark is enough better to justify getting rid of what I have and buying another. Guess you get used to what you have and it's been very satisfactory for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Dorn View Post
    ...doubt that the Tightmark is enough better to justify getting rid of what I have ....
    What is this "getting rid of" that you speak of? I don't know what that means.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ranck View Post
    What is this "getting rid of" that you speak of? I don't know what that means.
    There have been rumors going around about how some folks do not want more than one of any tool.

jtk

The tite-mark is an excellent gauge. I have several (4). I also have two of the Lee Valley gauges and two of the Taylor tools gauges. The tite-mark and the Taylor tools gauges are the easiest to use and are similar in design. The tite-mark is more expensive than the Taylor tools (about twice as expensive) but better made. They both work fine.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    There have been rumors going around about how some folks do not want more than one of any tool.

jtk
    I'm sure that is only a rumor. Marking gages grow like rabbits in my shop. Also, is a cutting gage considered to be a marking gage?