Thread: What's the cost of 1" cut Ash lumber

What's the cost of 1" cut Ash lumber

What is a good asking price for 1" thick Ash lumber? It's not dried. Thanks guys.
    Two T's Woodshop

Terry,
    If you don't get a good response here, you might ask the moderators to move your post to the Sawmills and Kiln drying subforum here.

Good luck!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Dunno how much ash has gone up recently, but 7 or 8 years ago I paid $2/BF for kiln dried ash delivered. He did it as a part time business, and that was his listed CL price.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I paid .25 a bdft for 1" ash about 6 years ago.
    You only need 2 tools in life. If it's supposed to move and doesn't... use WD40. If it moves and shouldn't... use duct tape.

I have been selling green to air dried ash for $1/bf for just over 10 years now. I sell it by the board, if it was a package deal for a pile I would expect to get less for it since the customer wouldn't get to pick out the ones they wanted.

I bought some air dried ash few weeks ago for 1$ bf. In northern Wisconsin.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Starch View Post
    What is a good asking price for 1" thick Ash lumber? It's not dried. Thanks guys.
    Width, length, grade?

In my area virtually anything green to slightly air dried is coming to be in the .45-.60/bd ft range. We can buy KD poplar for .80 so any average species that hasn't been through the kiln will be way less.

As Zach said, quantity is a major factor.

Not lucky enough to be in an area with lots of ash trees like Mark, I had to pay 80˘/bf for 1700 bf of green 8/4 ash in 2016. If you plan to ship it across state lines be mindful of the state restrictions on transport due to the beetle. That's something that could alter (probably raise) the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    Not lucky enough to be in an area with lots of ash trees like Mark, I had to pay 80˘/bf for 1700 bf of green 8/4 ash in 2016. If you plan to ship it across state lines be mindful of the state restrictions on transport due to the beetle. That's something that could alter (probably raise) the price.
    You may well be right in the sense that there are probably many out there capitalizing a bit on the fact that Ash is basically going to go the way of Chestnut in the near future and prices may be high. And of course distance is always an issue.

While I cant say for sure, and didnt bother to do any research, I think the last I heard from a couple loggers, foresters, and mills, was that the transport problems were pretty much over with because the issue is so widespread now. Beyond that, I dont think it every applied to sawn lumber (even green) as the EAB is not in the heartwood and as soon as the tree is debarked the lumber is no longer a problem. I think the main transport issue was with sawn logs, debarking refuse, and firewood.