Thread: Hollow Forms with a variety of finials

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.

Hollow Forms with a variety of finials

My woodturning mantra is "Obey The Tree," which means I rarely know what a particular vessel will look like -- okay, I usually have a general idea -- until I turn it, allowing my whims and the woodgrain to dictate the shape. To further muddle any visions for these efforts, I usually don't make a decision on the form the finials will take on my hollow forms until after I've completed the main shape.

So, behold! A smorgasbord of big and little hollow forms with all sorts of adornments.
    Dyed Maple Burl Mahogany Finial.jpg Blonde Teak HF Segmented Band Finial.jpg Madrone HF Tall Black Finial.jpg Madrone Burl Inclusions Black Finial1.jpg Mahogany Bulbus Top Urn.jpg Mahogany Urn Sequoia Cone.jpg Tall Maple Urn White Banding Finial1.jpg Small Fiddle Maple Dyed HF.jpg

There's one among these I really hate, having done it many years ago for another piece. Any guesses which one? I have more, but since I've reached my limit, I'll post them at another time.
    Last edited by Russell Neyman; 06-11-2018 at 9:06 AM.

fifth from the left?

not sure the one you hate, but I'm with John, 5th from left

The form and finial i like is 1st from left
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Some very nice looking hollow forms Russell.
    I'll have to go along with William and John, 5th from the left. I like finial #4 the best.

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    The one you two picked as a candidate for replacement -- the white bulbous one made from holly -- has a story. I originally intended to carve that into a leaf shape, but several turners saw it and talked me out of going further.