Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Moving 800# Jointer into basement

Advice on Moving 800# Jointer into basement

Looking for some input from others on here who have done the same. I’m getting a Powermatic PJ-882HH this week and need to get it into my basement. For my PM2000 and PM15 I made a sled out of plywood to go over the stairs and anchored a block and tackle in the bed of my pickup and lowered the machines on the pallet down the plywood. The only sketchy thing is getting the machine out of the pickup and on to the stairs in preparing for decent.
    I was thinking of renting a low trailer or lift gate truck to lessen the slope out of my pickup. It doesn’t help that the area in front of my basement entryway is grass so I can’t really use a engine lift or pallet jack on the grass.
    How about getting a winch because I would be able to control it better than the rope on the B&T?
    The jointer is on a long pallet, could I lower it down the stairs without making another sled?
    I’d love some advice on preparing for this move so any advice would be great.

It sounds like some variant of the method you used for the other tools will work just fine. If the pallet is narrow enough, you could consider it a sled and use a winch or come-along. The lower trailer is always a nice idea, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

In my area, about the only place to rent a lift gate was with enterprise truck rentals so I would suggest checking on availability along with price.

i have used a pallet jack across my yard laying 3/4 plywood along the path, but it was quite challenging.

I have never ever had to take stuff like that down a stair case. Would love to see pics as you progress.

Sunbelt rentals has a hydraulic drop deck trailer that takes the floor down to 2" off the ground. Under $50 a day to rent. Then tilt bed is cheaper and good enough if it is already on a skid. I belive it is made by JLG the scissor lift company. I hear some places will not the rent the bare trailer so you have to rent the lift on the trailer. park the lift then reload the lift after the hauling is done.
    Bill D.

https://www.jlg.com/en/equipment/dro...s/utility/ut28

I used my mini skid steer as a substitute for the winch in your plan, to move a gun safe out of a basement. Benefit of the mini skid steer is that it can handle it on and off the trailer easily with their fork attachments. Mine is a Toro Dingo, but there are lots of options and they can be rented.

I would take it apart, and install in the basement in smaller, more manageable pieces. View it as an opportunity to get to know your new machine, as well as clean the machined surfaces and get some proper lubrication on them for corrosion protection.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Sunbelt rentals has a hydraulic drop deck trailer that takes the floor down to 2" off the ground. Under $50 a day to rent. Then tilt bed is cheaper and good enough if it is already on a skid. I belive it is made by JLG the scissor lift company. I hear some places will not the rent the bare trailer so you have to rent the lift on the trailer. park the lift then reload the lift after the hauling is done.
    Bill D.

https://www.jlg.com/en/equipment/dro...s/utility/ut28
    I’m thinking the hydraulic deck because sunbelt is basically behind my house.
    My only concern is getting it started to push it down the stairs on the skid. I’d rather not winch from the house and then from the trailer. Ideally I would just like to winch from the trailer and lower down.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Porter View Post
    In my area, about the only place to rent a lift gate was with enterprise truck rentals so I would suggest checking on availability along with price.

i have used a pallet jack across my yard laying 3/4 plywood along the path, but it was quite challenging.

I have never ever had to take stuff like that down a stair case. Would love to see pics as you progress.
    here are some pics of the sled setup for the TS and planer. It was OK but I really like the idea of a lower trailer and automatic winch.
    8618F4D9-6DAC-4776-9837-9D687E16F9E3.jpg8AB4FF58-A1A0-4B1B-BB40-17D8E3A13882.jpg

For starters you have great access and a nice clear way to get in. I havent used a winch but the last one I pulled up on beams I used a block and tackle worked fine you go from maximum to minimum then I just chained it to stay then move the block and tackle to full extension and started again. What does this machine weigh? Some guys hve posted here they move them upside down on the tables. NOt in my comfort zone or some machines are just too large. My beams are skim planed 2" thick maple and they are waxed. it helps stuff slide.

I have used my truck to ease things in, and out of basement stairs. It's a 4x dually though.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    For starters you have great access and a nice clear way to get in. I havent used a winch but the last one I pulled up on beams I used a block and tackle worked fine you go from maximum to minimum then I just chained it to stay then move the block and tackle to full extension and started again. What does this machine weigh? Some guys hve posted here they move them upside down on the tables. NOt in my comfort zone or some machines are just too large. My beams are skim planed 2" thick maple and they are waxed. it helps stuff slide.
    The shipping weight is 750# and I’m taking it into the house via down the stairs. Agree and def not going table side down, and would rather not disssamble due to the parallelism of the tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Monheit View Post
    The shipping weight is 750# and I’m taking it into the house via down the stairs. Agree and def not going table side down, and would rather not disssamble due to the parallelism of the tables.
    It will arrive in a giant closed crate, about 8' x 3' x 4', and (and at least it was in the case of mine) the "pallet" it rests on, and which is part of the crate, is open-bottom, with 2x4 "cross-members" extending across the width of the crate, not along its length. So walking it down the stairs would be a little bumpety-bumpety, and you would need to use a long flat-bottom skid.

Dismantling the jointer is highly non-advisable, except for the insane masochist.

I didn't have to deal with stairs. If I had, I would have just hired movers. Piano movers, say.

You can use a Johnson bar to move it off the trailer and tilt it down the stairs just keep the winch cable attached in case it starts to go. A rental place may have Johnson bars to rent or buy a big crowbar from Harbor freight. I have a big roller chain come along from CM. Yale also made a good one. see them pretty often on ebay. The roller chains do not get tangled up like the cable ones. I have never seen a cheaply made roller chain one. I think mine is one ton/two ton when doubled. It is controlled lever ratchet both up and down.
    Bill D.

https://www.cmworks.com/Hoists/Manua...chetLeverHoist

I took one combo apart no big deal but simpler on a combo agree dont take it apart unless necessary. Setting it up again a whole project. Be interesting to put a straight edge on a new one and see just how well they are set up.

Tilt deck trailer will get it started down the stairs for you.
    Bill D.