Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Advice on Moving 800# Jointer into basement

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I disagree bad idea to take apart a jointer that's setup at the factory. You'll never get it dialed in the same. But you'll have a new appreciation to the guy that does this job at the factory.
    I agree....disassembly should always be a totally last resort for the reasons stated.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I agree....disassembly should always be a totally last resort for the reasons stated.
    Not planning to disassemble. I’m waiting until the mobile base arrives so I can do the move and place it on the base at the same time and with the same rental equipment.
    I will post pics after the move.

thats assuming he did a good job in on set up, likely pretty easy for a guy that does that repeatedly. I did one of mine and hadnt done any of them in 35 years. Biggest deal is getting a real straightedge. NO instructions on how to approach it in the manual, not sure about a few little screws, had to use shims. It was off but could have been left the issue was the quarter sawn material not the jointer but fine I understand the machine better and its set up well now.

Hi Joey, I've moved 2 machines that size into my basement by myself.

I winched both machines up the front steps in through the front door, and then down the basement steps.

My shop cat Ellington provided as much help as he could by inspecting all aspects of the move in detail.

regards, Rod.

This really sounds like a recipe for a dropped machine and/or crushed body parts. Real riggers who come with the requisite tools, knowledge, and experience will cost you a couple hundred bucks and get it moved safely and quickly.

Sure you can DIY, but if you start paying to rent equipment why bother? Call the pros. Too nice a machine to drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I disagree bad idea to take apart a jointer that's setup at the factory. You'll never get it dialed in the same. But you'll have a new appreciation to the guy that does this job at the factory.

I respectfully disagree. Jointers are one of the most simple woodworking machines out there. I can take my 2600 lb. Yates American #1 apart (I have) by myself, with help from my engine hoist, in 2 hours or less. They aren't that complicated. If you don't remove the cutterhead from the main casting, it breaks down into 7 pieces, much easier to move than the machine as a whole. If you use your jointer alot like I do, it's also a great way to clean and lube everything. Just a little bit of sawdust wedged under a table can throw the whole machine out of whack.

A planer that breaks down into 300 parts is a lot more complicated. Jointers are a piece of cake, and all the risk of damaging the machine goes out the window when it's into much easier to handle pieces.
    Jeff

I have a tilt bed trailer 5x8 that I built to move my lawn mower and ATV's around, would use that and a ATV winch bolted to the front of the trailer. They have remotes you can hold in your hand as you guide the machine slowly down the stairs. Might have to put a couple long 2x4's under the crate before you slide her down the stairs. A 20" flat bar comes in really handy to help you get your crate over small obstacles.