Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bridge CityTools ....SOLD.............

Bridge CityTools ....SOLD.............

John Economaki sells Bridge City Tool Works
    Sold to Harvey Industries.
    Found on a WOOD Magazine facebook post

https://www.bridgecitytools.com/blog...-january-2018/
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 06-10-2018 at 12:20 AM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Well, good for him! It's always nice to see a guy successfully sell (rather than close) a business he built from scratch. My google-fu is weak this morning and didnt tuen up anything on Harvey Industries in LA. Anyone know what woodworking tools they make? (See Economaki's comment in the announcement).
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Good news for John. Harvey has been making BCT Tools (Chinese edition) for a year or two already, in addition to being the producer of the chopstick maker for BCT The US production has been symbolic in recent years and as I see it, Asian machine production will continue to dominate in the time ahead. In fact, China will be the leader of electric cars in 20 years or less given its new policy and investment on those cars.

Simon

[QUOTE= Anyone know what woodworking tools they make? (See Economaki's comment in the announcement).[/QUOTE]

https://www.harveywoodworking.com/
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

As far as I can tell from discussions on the Australian forum over the years, Harvey and much of Laguna come from the same source. Since Harvey is the source ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    ... My google-fu is weak this morning and didnt tuen up anything on Harvey Industries in LA. Anyone know what woodworking tools they make? (See Economaki's comment in the announcement).
    My guess: http://www.harveymachinery.com/product/13/

It will be interesting to see how things go when John starts being outside of the operation....

The thing is...

How much is the steak worth to customers without John's sizzle? Would people still pay $4,500 for one of the Bridge City bench planes if it's just basically an extra-shiny Luban plane... Even if that's already what's happening - it has John's sizzle...

Making the sort of low volume, hand fitted, special run Boutique tools that are (nominally) hatched and sprouted from John's brain doesn't necessarily translate well to an overseas import contract manufacturer..... I think the "Value" of the tools goes way down once John is out and it's cool looking stuff made in China... You can get some really cool looking stuff made in China cheap on Amazon and way cheaper still on AliBaba...

but.. I could be wrong....

I looked at their website for many years, couldn't come to grips with pricing or styling, let alone the utility of some of the designs. My thoughts are the majority of BCT tools were just displayed by "money is no object" goomers that fancied themselves woodworkers. Since so few of their tools were used, this would also explain their customer service was lacking-they simply did not need a robust system!

As far as China goes, they have products now produced that are the equal of any nation, though you still have to pay the price!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Quote Originally Posted by John C Cox View Post
    I can speak only to my experience with my neighbor's chopstick master (made in China), the brainchild of John. If John had marketed the Chinese kit as a US-made kit, no one could tell it was made in China, from design to material to finish. The matter of truth is the quality difference between a US made product and an Asian (China included) inport can be zero or even the difference could work in favor of the imported product, which was true for a bbq stove I bought at Walmart: I picked one made (assembled?) in USA over a slightly better priced Chinese stove. But the upper grill kept falling off because of a poor design.

Of course, if one is buying BCT tools because of John's involvement or because it is US made, prices alone won't be the determining factor, and Harvey will be selling the BCT copies mostly to a different group of consumers. Harvey certainly knows this and has probably factored that in in the offer he reached with John.

Simon

Blog Entries
    I hope they paid too much for it, because I certainly paid too much for my Bridge City scratch awl that bent on the first use, and my small square that the factory glue caused to corrode around the edges.

Here's hoping that design and manufacturing stays in the Bridge City. If it does then all will be well.
    I also agree that some of their tools are pricey; but quality does not come cheap. I have several and use them for their intended purpose-measuring and marking wood in the making of wood goods.

No doubt that is why John has stayed on for now.... And I am sure the connection to Harvey will help some of his production troubles...

And perhaps that pushes the balance more towards John doing "Fun stuff" and letting Harvey'sorder fulfillment and front office folks do what they do..

I have a warm spot in my heart for guys like John... The trouble is that often all the horrible administrative stuff required to run a good business grinds them up and saps the life and creativity out of those fellows...

The table saw and the lathe from Harvey looks really good. Not sure of the rest of the tools from them.

Harvey have a very good reputation in Oz. Their table saws are often preferred to those from Laguna. I was considering one not that long ago.

BC have a strong working relationship with Harvey, and that speaks greatly about their quality levels. Under Harvey, I doubt we will see a change in quality, although we may see an increase in quantity.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Harvey have a very good reputation in Oz. Their table saws are often preferred to those from Laguna. I was considering one not that long ago.

BC have a strong working relationship with Harvey, and that speaks greatly about their quality levels. Under Harvey, I doubt we will see a change in quality, although we may see an increase in quantity.

Regards from Perth

Derek

What TS do you use now Derek? Is the bandsaw your favourite machine?