Thread: Color variation in red oak

Color variation in red oak

I picked some red oak up Friday that once a lsned was much darker than I am use to. Is color variation common with red oak? Is there any good way of knowing the color, short of using a hand plane at the lumber yard?

Pretty much any wood species is going to have variations between trees and in some cases, even between different ends of the tree. All kinds of things affect that as the trees grow. If you're selecting rough lumber, a small plane is a common way to evaluate material while picking it out at the supplier.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I came in my old boss's office one day and heard the last of a loud phone "discussion" where he told the client "Red oak is a species not a color" and hung up. I always thought that would make a good sign for a shop.

Red oak has been particularly bad about color variation for me (or good i guess if you like the look) I get deliveries in with a few extremely red boards and then some that are just brown, almost the color of white oak.

Blog Entries
    As others have stated color variations in red oak are very common. Generally if you stain it, the color differences aren't as noticeable. Where I purchase lumber, I can select the boards I want for appearance and color to some degree with little if any hassle.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Red oak makes great firewood.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Plummer View Post
    I came in my old boss's office one day and heard the last of a loud phone "discussion" where he told the client "Red oak is a species not a color" and hung up. I always thought that would make a good sign for a shop.
    Golden oak isn't a tree?

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Red oak makes great firewood.
    Bad boy.... :-)

I'm just a hobby guy but I generally only buy in at least 100 bd ft lots. Then I can pick or at least get most of the boards from a similar tree. I'm not a red oak fan but have bought riftsawn in 100-200 bd ft increments and can get pretty consistent stuff that way. Dave

I have some quarter-sawn red oak that is just as flecked as QSWO. Cant tell it apart without looking at the end grain.

Quote Originally Posted by Osvaldo Cristo View Post
    Bad boy.... :-)
    Golden oak ruined RO for me.

Blog Entries
    Quarter sawn Red oak, with a hand planed finish is pretty nice stuff.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.