Thread: New Memeber- howdy and a recent find

New Memeber- howdy and a recent find

Hello All,

My name is Don and I live in the Chicago area. IÂ’m not new to woodworking but I am kinda new to the forum scene- kinda. You see, I peruse forums a lot but seldom ever post or respond. In fact, this is my first post on this site. So since I just had a decent find at a local yard sale, I thought IÂ’d share and also ask a few questions.

I had placed an ad in Facebook marketplace that I was interested in buying antique woodworking tools. The very next day, a friend called and told me about a particular yard sale about 4 miles from home. It was about 9am this past Thursday, the first day of the sale. He called me from the sale and the lady holding the sale confirmed she had several crates of old woodworking tools that had belonged to her grandpa who was a carpenter. I asked if sheÂ’d kindly put them all aside and IÂ’d be there in a half hour. I wasnÂ’t working that day (I do remodeling, construction and home/ business repair but I especially enjoy cabinetmaking and trim work) and I still hadnÂ’t gotten dressed. Needless to say my wife and I made it there in 20 minutes!

where to start... here is approximately what I found:

11 hand saws including 2 Disston and 4 Atkins rip and crosscut saws. One of the Atkins appears to be a No 82 Triple Duty saw but I havenÂ’t confirmed that yet. There is also a Supperior backsaw.

I spent most of today cleaning aand restoring a Disston D-8 from between 1910 and 1928 (aged by the medallion and logo etched on the blade.

I also got 9 planes including a very old Fulton (possibly like a #3?- 9-1/2” x 2 1/4” with a 1 3/4” blade) a Bailey #8, a Miller Falls 900, a Dunlop 3726, 2 more looks like early to mid 50’s craftsman planes, an Auburn wood body and what appears to be a no name or home made 1/2” rebate. The Falls, Craftsman and Dunlop are boxed and the in in excellent condition. The others will need some care.

Braces and drills... there are 14 in total, in a 36” x 12” x 12” very old homemade chest. There are at least 2 dozen brace bits and attachments. There is also a two man hand drill for drilling metal- looks like the late 1800’s and some metal drilling bits as well.

then there are several dozen other items like 4 framing squares from Seargent and Miller Falls, hammers, a wooden mallet, 2 very old bevels with detailed brass knobs, scribes and a large wooden clamp.

Oye... there are many projects in the future and it will be fun to hunt down info on these beautiful old tools. But mostly, I canÂ’t wait to put them to work! IÂ’ll try to get some pictures if anybody wants to see them.

i currently have a really unique old axe head in an electrolysis bath. I hope it has a makers mark. Oh- does anyone out there use electrolysis on hand saw blades???

Thanks for listening. I think this might be a rare find at least for me and I thought IÂ’d share. Feel free to comment. I look forward to chatting,
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 06-10-2018 at 5:26 AM.

Welcome Don! Glad you joined us!
    That's quite a haul. It should be a lot of fun to restore and put to use.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Howdy Donald and welcome to the Creek.

Sounds like a nice haul. If you have a camera, we always love to have pictures to go with old tool finds.

On an unrelated note, is your browser up to date? Your apostrophe and inch marks come through with an odd artifact:

Browser Question.png

My recollection is this was caused by a quirk in one or two versions of Firefox. My memory could be in error.

Have fun cleaning your trove of tools.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hi Jim & Fred,

Thanks for the hellos. And I switched my option in settings, so let’s see if it works...

3 1/4”

Yep.

Thanks!

Hi Don, and welcome!

Thanks Phil

Don,

One more welcome to the creek. Nice to have you here.

Sounds like you had quite a day rust hunting!

Congrats!

Stew