Thread: Where else can you buy Koyamaichi chisels?

Where else can you buy Koyamaichi chisels?

I have a few of the Koyamaichi dovetail chisels from Lee Valley. These have impressed me so mush that I'd like to pick up a few of the oire-nomi style as well since ToolsfromJapan says the dovetail chisels should only be used for light chiseling. I know ToolsfromJapan is a source, and I've bought from Stu before, but from recent posts it seems that Stu may be understandably tied up in family matters. I've searched but haven't found another source. Does anyone know anyone else that is selling Koyamaichi oire-nomi chisels? Or is there another brand that would be available and a close match for the Koyamaichi?

Thanks for all suggestions.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

Blog Entries
    I recommend calling Suzuki of Suzuki Tool and asking for her recommendation.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Hi Cliff, I recently purchased from Stu - no problems. Yes, it didn't arrived for around 6-8 weeks, but I knew this going in, so wasn't disappointed. If not in a rush, I would say go ahead, but be wary that sometimes things likes chisels aren't in stock.

It can be easy in today's world to want everything to arrive tomorrow (or even today!) when we buy online, but some things are worth waiting for

However, customs can sting - so if putting in a big order, that is one thing to bear in mind.

Dom, can I ask when you ordered and if they were koyamaichi chisels? I placed an order for 5 koyamaichi chisels a month ago and haven't heard anything from yet - I know from posts here that it's taking a while for most orders so I'm holding off on contacting Stu for a few more weeks but I'd be interested in knowing a bit more from your experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Hasin Haroon View Post
    Dom, can I ask when you ordered and if they were koyamaichi chisels? I placed an order for 5 koyamaichi chisels a month ago and haven't heard anything from yet - I know from posts here that it's taking a while for most orders so I'm holding off on contacting Stu for a few more weeks but I'd be interested in knowing a bit more from your experience.
    Hi Hasin, I ordered some saws, but unsure whether these were in stock or had to be ordered in. However, they are much cheaper than some chisels, so I could afford to almost forget about the order. (If i had a set of chisels on the way, I maybe wouldnt have been so laissez faire). To be honest I just logged in on TFJ one day and realised they had been shipped, there was no email to say so. I ordered roughly mid March, and they were dispatched mid April.

In future I would probably opt for EMS postage, not the SAL as that took a couple of weeks from date of send to arrive at my door.

Regards,

D

Thanks Dom, that's helpful, and gives me hope that I might just get my chisels this summer.