Thread: 3hp Mobile Dust Collectors (Jet and Laguna)?

3hp Mobile Dust Collectors (Jet and Laguna)?

I don't own a dust collector and feel that having something mobile for a few years will really be important. I just won't be ready to install ducting anytime soon. It seems multiple vendors are making mobile models. Jet and Laguna both have fairly similar (and similarly priced) models.

I'm attracted to these 3hp models because they're mobile and low enough for my 100" ceiling, and you can run it on a 20A breaker with a 12 gauge cord. Seems like a great solution for someone that isn't going to have dedicated ducting for a while. The big downside I've seen, at least on the 3hp Laguna, is that it doesn't seem like the cyclone separation is all that great.

So I'm wondering if something like this could be bought and possibly modified, or if I should maybe spend more time and money getting a better performing unit and building a mobile stand for it while at the same time fighting with my height restriction.

I was looking at the Oneid V models and they having a comparison chart showing how good their units work. But they actually rate a different version of the Laguna pretty highly.

I am pretty noise sensitive, so anything quieter would get my attention.

Thanks!

My current dust collector is a 1 hp Delta AP400, I have a trash can separator in front of it and an after market singed felt bag instead of the original cloth bag it came with.
    It collects the chips and shavings pretty good and I dump the trash can several times before having to dump the collection bag.
    Since it works ok, maybe I just have upgraditis but I have been mulling over the same dust collectors you are looking at.
    I have gotten over it so far but it keeps coming back.
    About the best YouTube things I have seen on the Laguna 3hp is the two that Matt Cremona posted.
    The last one was posted a day or two ago and is a 6-8 month update after living with it.
    He has praise for the airflow but demonstrates the separation is indeed mediocre.

https://youtu.be/4wtI_BJruAc

John, as I mentioned in your other thread, short-cone cyclones inherently don't separate as well as larger, long-cone cyclones. It's the nature of the beast; IE, the laws of physics. What you might consider instead of the units you mention is to use a rolling "traditional" DC with upgraded bags as your temporary solution and when you're ready for duct work, acquire a more capable cyclone system that you can isolate in your shop (for sound) and pipe it in. By then, you'll also have a better handle on what tools you need to support with your DC so you can optimize what you invest in. I personally wouldn't buy a short-cone cyclone because the separation is "everything" and one of the primary reasons for having a cyclone system.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

What about spending more on something like an Oneida, and building it into a portable configuration until it can be properly installed?

I always think big and small when it comes to tools, or primary/backup. I could see the advantage of having a fully capable system, but then also having something mobile to push around and use for different tasks, or hookup a new or temporary tool that you don't care to run ducting to.

A smaller 120v dust collector would be nice to be able to take to a different location/jobsite, though it would be hard to see wanting to do that vs just using a shop-vac.

It is unfortunate that the Laguna 3hp falls short on separation, because other than that it seems ideal. Matt Cremona did mention in his 2nd video that adding a baffle above the collection bin helped alot, but he didn't really quantify the improvement.

The Oneida V series is 88" tall. You have space to put wheels under it, and still clear your 100" ceiling. And, of course, you get long-cone performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    The Oneida V series is 88" tall. You have space to put wheels under it, and still clear your 100" ceiling. And, of course, you get long-cone performance.
    I agree with this. You'll just have to make up a stout extension cord to get the required power to it from an appropriately sized circuit.

https://www.oneida-air.com/inventoryD.asp?item_no=XXVM030139H35VP&CatId={883C 6AA7-4C85-49FD-9EEA-C51D09DC8B19}
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Keep in mind that noise and cfm under pressure kind of go together. A low pressure impeller will tend to make the lease noise but to move higher cfm under higher pressure, the impeller tends to get loud. I don't know if that is because the blades become less curved and more straight but I've yet to see ( or hear ) a high pressure impeller that is quiet. A cyclone adds 2-4" of SP and flex vs pipe add more. I'd also consider a 2 hp double bagger. Put 20" x5-6' singed poly or Beane bags on it and use either sleeve with bins on the bottom or plastic bags. You will gain some cfm and spend less money until you can go to a permanent system. Dave

You could even go with an Oneida 3hp/5hp Dust Gorilla Pro w/ 35 gallon drum and fab up a base. Total height is 94", plus whatever you add with the base. Keep in mind that your base can use out (or in) riggers to minimize the height increase. Then, converting to a "permanent system" is as simple as parking it in the corner and removing the base.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.