Thread: A solution in need of a problem

A solution in need of a problem

I read here a lot but have only posted a few times but something fell in my lap that I am interested in hearing opinions on. I came to possess a large quantity of western cedar and am not sure what to do with it. I build a variety of things for folks out of all types of wood but have never worked with western cedar other than interior trim. Most of the material is 16/4 or 24/4 up to 20’ length. I was considering outdoor furniture. Has anyone used it for this purpose? Any other ideas? Resaw is not a problem as I have a sawmill. I’m open to ideas? Thanks
    Brian

What's the grade of the wood? If it's mostly clear or STK then you could use it make very nice gates. If it's really low with large knots then I would call that garden cedar. And that make good planter boxes
    I like WRC a lot ever more if it didn't make me sneeze.
    Aj

Well, you can use the cut offs to make small decorative boxes. You could either resaw into thin boards or use them full thickness for bandsaw boxes.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Furniture that doesn’t get hard wear like blanket chests, sofa tables, wall hung cabinets or Krenov style cabinets on stands all fit the bill. With those lengths cedar strip canoes are an obvious choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Bumpers View Post
    I came to possess a large quantity of western cedar and am not sure what to do with it. I build a variety of things for folks out of all types of wood but have never worked with western cedar other than interior trim. Most of the material is 16/4 or 24/4 up to 20’ length. I was considering outdoor furniture. Has anyone used it for this purpose? Any other ideas? Resaw is not a problem as I have a sawmill.
    It makes very nice rustic bookcases. Resistance to bending is quite good under load, leaving the shelves at least 6/4, and it's highly resistant to the kind of pests that tend to eat paper. You don't have to finish it (the color darkens beautifully with age, and leaving it raw enhances the bug resistance.)

It's perfect for woodstrip canoes at a 20' length.
    Last edited by Alan Schwabacher; 06-09-2018 at 11:27 PM.

Go into the mantle business?

Blog Entries
    I made a yard swing for my In laws almost 20 years ago. When they moved to a retirement home they gave the swing back so it is now at my house. It is made of western red cedar and held together with Elmer's two part Resorcinol glue and stainless steel hard ware.
    swing.jpg
    This photo was taken right before pressure washing which it gets every couple of years now that it is in my yard. The A-frame is treated lumber.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

a few yars ago, i researched what wood is the best/toughest for outdoors, and it was/is WRC.

Enjoy!
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

I would probably keep some for my projects, but then offer the rest for trade to get other wood that I wanted for my own projects. Those who want WRC would likely be willing to make trades for it, getting you hardwoods that would be better suited for indoor projects. When someone wants WRC, they want it mostly for an outdoor project when most other woods aren't good choices. This alone should give your trade significant value.

My experience with WRC is limited to home siding, and while I can appreciate it for that purpose, I find it to be of an uninteresting grain structure and too soft for my furniture projects. Eastern Cedar has multiple coloring and is much more interesting for making decorative items and closet lining. It seems to be a bit harder than the WRC that I have worked with.

Charley

Thanks for the suggestions. Outdoor furniture was high on my list as I get a few calls for that already. I completely forgot that I wanted to build a canoe until that was suggested. Will have to pull those books back out and get to planning. Thanks again
    Brian

Barn wood furniture is popular right now. How about making some outdoor chests, and cabinets for patios. Patio kitchens are still popular. Rough saw orange crates are always popular. Chests to hold charcoal and/or grilling supplies. Maybe resaw some 1X planks homeowners can use to wrap painted patio/porch posts with. Do it yourself gate kits?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

WRC is what is commonly used around here for fences, decks, and roofing shingles, so it lasts outside pretty well.