Thread: Does anyone else make a 90mm Random Order Sander (fine orbit) besides Festool?

Question Does anyone else make a 90mm Random Order Sander (fine orbit) besides Festool?

I have Festool's 90mm random orbit sander; like it a lot for certain situations. However but I don't find it particularly ergonomic / comfortable when working on finer / smaller pieces with it. I really like the Mirka 125mm sanders, so something like that, a more traditional form factor would work great.

Anyone have any recommendations? I have compressed air, so pneumatic is fine. I found Dynabrade, possibly model 57003 but can't seem to actually find it anywhere (just a reference in their PDF manuals). Obviously want dust collection...

Thanks!
    Last edited by Josh Molaver; 06-09-2018 at 12:30 PM. Reason: added dust collection requirement

Update: Found an actual model that seems to fit my requirements:

https://www.aaabrasives.com/dynabrad...t-rear-exhaust

Anyone have experience with Dynabrade? Other suggestions? I'm not sure if the Festool vac hose will fit on this, that would be certainly be a major plus!

Know what you mean about the Rotex 90. I wanted something with a small disc/pad to work on small boxes, but it was pretty much impossible to use with one hand. Fine machine, but ended up selling it to a fellow creeker.

Can’t speak to the Dynabrade sander you found but Dynabrade tools are made for industrial use so are long lasting and repairable. The plant I used to work in had 10 to 20 metal finishers grinding and polishing aircraft parts with half a dozen kinds of grinders and sanders each and Dynabrade were the only brand in the plant.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Molaver View Post
    Update: Found an actual model that seems to fit my requirements:

https://www.aaabrasives.com/dynabrad...t-rear-exhaust

Anyone have experience with Dynabrade? Other suggestions? I'm not sure if the Festool vac hose will fit on this, that would be certainly be a major plus!
    That appears to be a pneumatic sander...you'll need to be sure that you have a big-butt compressor that can supply the required air specifications (which I didn't see at first glance on the web site) and those are typically pretty heavy requirements.

Festool's Rotex sanders, regardless of size, have always been pretty dependent on two-handed handling by the operator since their big claim to fame is the rotary mode for rapid removal, rather than their random orbit mode. So I'm not surprised that you haven't found it to be very comfortable as a general purpose finish sander.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

believe it or not the pneumatic sanders from Harbor Freight work well. They are not top of the line sanders but we used them in the big shop and got similar results if we treated them right as we did with Dynabrade, at significantly less cost - and I am not​ advocating for HF. I just found that these sanders are a reasonably good value. We did have a massive compressed air system which helped
    Stuart Kent
    Founding Director of the North Carolina Furniture School
    Robust, Rikon, Harvey, & Easy Wood Tools Dealer
    252-916-8226