Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharping a fillister blade

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sharping a fillister blade

Hi all, anything I need to know about sharpening the blade from my moving fillister? Specifically, do I sharpen both of the sides. As the photo shows both have an existing bevel.

Im going to regrind the bevel(s) close to the already existing bevel. You probably can’t tell from the photo but the blade is all knicked up. Anything I should be careful of? I have a tormek so i won’t overheat the blade.

I also know know that I need to flatten the back. I will home freehand after grinding. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Seth Terndrup; 06-09-2018 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Auto corrected

Seth, I have not seen a fillister blade sharpened that way. I do not think you need a bevel on the side. But there are more experienced Neanderthals who might know more.

Mark is correct. It's not a side plane, it's a fillister. No need for that side bevel at all. The bottom bevel will do all the work. Very important that the bevel matches the bottom of the plane (straight or skewed) for protrusion, and you also want the iron to protrude out the side just a smidge....a few thousandths is enough. This keeps you from stepping away on each progressive cut.

If you find you need to regrind to match your plane, you can mark the back (after flattening it) with dykem layout fluid, or just a blue or red Sharpie marker, and scribe a line even with the bottom of the iron. This can be done with another sharp chisel, or a scratch awl, or any other sharp tool of your choice.
    Jeff

I have had a small side bevel on my fillister for 30 years or more. I have maybe an 80 or degree bevel rather than a flat side at 90 degrees. For a nice rabbet I like a little clearance there so there isn't rubbing by the side of the iron. It is not something that has to be maintained and you would not want to be sharpening it regularly and thereby make the iron narrower. I can't tell, it looks like the side bevel pictured is overdone, but nevertheless I would leave it rather than grind it away making the iron too narrow.

Welcome to the forum, Seth

Skewed irons require an additional tuning step. The back of the iron along the shoulder side has to beveled at least as much as the skew angle and preferably more (see photo at right below). If the iron is not beveled , the shoulder corner of the edge cant project beyond the side without the back of the iron projecting even further. Actually, beveling the iron can work to your advantage. I bevel the iron slightly more than necessary and hone it sharp, so that if I choose, it will scrape the face of the shoulder ever so slightly as the cutting edge sinks the rabbet.
    https://books.google.com.au/books?id=lSVMWpzqfNgC&pg=PA127&lpg=PA127&dq=side+b evel+on+a+fillister+plane&source=bl&ots=n5qgY429m3 &sig=F8Zg0vpmyUaaqqw9OjHE91wxXo8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0a hUKEwip5fWrhcjbAhVBxLwKHZ5qBrs4ChDoAQhNMAY#v=onepa ge&q=side%20bevel%20on%20a%20fillister%20plane&f=f alse

Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 06-09-2018 at 11:08 PM.

Thanks for all the great info guys!!

i spent a little time today trying to flatten the back. This aspect I feel takes me much longer than I read people say it should take. I mark the back with a sharpie grid. Take 10 swipes to check my progress. When the grid is removed evenly I think it’s flat. However it seems to take forever. I’ve spent way too much time on this over the past year tuning used tools! I’ve tried the hammer trick and it kind of works. But geez this is a monotonous task.

Seth; when your working the back of the blade, a 1/4" of flat surface above the cutting edge is more than adequate for a plane iron.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Terndrup View Post
    Thanks for all the great info guys!!

i spent a little time today trying to flatten the back. This aspect I feel takes me much longer than I read people say it should take. I mark the back with a sharpie grid. Take 10 swipes to check my progress. When the grid is removed evenly I think it’s flat. However it seems to take forever. I’ve spent way too much time on this over the past year tuning used tools! I’ve tried the hammer trick and it kind of works. But geez this is a monotonous task.
    I hear jou! Especially when the back is pitted or the corners are dubbed over an eight of an inch deep. Be glad it is just a small fillister blade!

As Warren mentioned, the side bevel is for clearance. There have been for- and against proponents in this regard for donkeys years. My own opinion is that it is useful. It does not need to be sharpened. It does not need to be sharp - just relieved.

The blade itself should be sharpened at about 35 degrees.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Howdy Seth and welcome to the Creek.

As others have mentioned there only needs to be enough bevel on the side of the iron for a relief angle. This keeps the plane from jamming in the cut.

My method of setting how much the edge protrudes from the side is by pressing the side of the plane against the bench or a piece of hard wood.

i spent a little time today trying to flatten the back. This aspect I feel takes me much longer than I read people say it should take. I mark the back with a sharpie grid. Take 10 swipes to check my progress.
    Ten swipes isn't enough to do much flattening. As much as we all talk about flattening you will find with single iron planes it is over rated. Get your blade sharp and as long as it is in line with the sole you will likely get good results with minimal back flattening.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The back of a single iron plane's iron only has a wedge to worry about....it is the bevel side of that iron, that sits on the bed of the plane...that should be flat. otherwise, it may rock side to side.

On the double iron planes, the flattened back is only for the chipbreaker or cap iron to register against....but, nobody seems to worry about the bevel side, even though it sits ON the frog's face....if it were indeed flat, maybe some of the "chatter" may get cured. Depending on which way the bevel side is out of flat.

Maybe bevel up planes are "different"? Or, do they have to be flattened on the bevel side?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Ten swipes isn't enough to do much flattening. As much as we all talk about flattening you will find with single iron planes it is over rated. Get your blade sharp and as long as it is in line with the sole you will likely get good results with minimal back flattening.

jtk
    Sorry I meant 10 swipes after marking the blade with a sharpie. I do a lot more swipes before I reapply the sharpie and check again. I find that with coarse sandpaper if I take 50-100 passes all the sharpie disappears but then when I try it on a fine diamond plate it doesn’t disappear which I assume is the real test.

thanks for the tip not to worry about the back too much. I didn’t realize that we did that so the chip breaker references. I thought it was for sharpness. Like getting those two planes (front and back) to meet.

Blog Entries
    thanks for the tip not to worry about the back too much. I didn’t realize that we did that so the chip breaker references. I thought it was for sharpness. Like getting those two planes (front and back) to meet.
    My general rule of thumb is if the blade is cutting well, then the back is likely fine. If it isn't cutting well, then it may need to be flattened at the edge for an 1/8 to a 1/4".

Flattening on sandpaper can be tricky since the paper can 'bubble' or 'buckle' under the blade. Also the build up of swarf under the can cause it to rock from side to side while honing.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Wasn’t that, grind at 25, hone at 30 degrees?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    Wasn’t that, grind at 25, hone at 30 degrees?
    It all depends on your sharpening set up. My 'grinder' is a Veritas Mk 11 Power Sharpening System which is a flat disk sharpening system that doesn't create a hollow grind.

One feature of this is the difference in thickness of the abrasive sheets of coarse material is thicker than the finer abrasive sheets. This causes a secondary bevel if one doesn't take measures to defeat the feature.

My blades are sharpened without the intent of creating secondary bevels.

What works for me in my shop may not be what works for another person in their shop with their species of wood or methods of work.

jtk