Thread: Lap marks on inset top for ring box--any help??

Lap marks on inset top for ring box--any help??

Some days you get the bear and some days the bear gets you.

I am doing some ring boxes for a cousin's wedding--curly maple and walnut. I prefinished the walnut tops with Arm R Seal Satin. After assembly, I decided to finish the boxes with Arm R Seal Semi-Gloss, including adding a coat over the walnut

My inset tops now have lap marks and streaks. They look horrible:

IMG-2515.jpgIMG-2513.jpgIMG-2516 (2).jpg

I think I am up the creek (not sawmill). Rest of the finish looks great

So, two questions:

1. Any suggestions for fixing the finish (which I know is unlikely)

2. Assuming that I have to refinish the tops, any suggestions for removing/sanding the finish off in such a small area? I was wondering about trying to make a custom card scrape

A scraper is a good idea. I use a wide chisel as a scraper rather than make a special small one. Cheers

Todd,
    It appears to me that you may have put the Arm-R-Seal on a little too thick . I use it a lot(has become my favorite finish) You must go VERY LIGHTLY on the last stroke over it, or you can end up with streaks. The pictures to me seem to indicate that the last coat was applied too thick and that the "contained area" of the box top made it difficult to get a smooth wipe.
    I would get a small(2-3")block of wood and apply 220 grit sandpaper and very gently sand the inside of the box top until it all has an even dull luster( no ribs of finish). I can't emphasize enough how lightly you should sand.....I say that because I constantly have to remind myself to let the sandpaper do the work. Once this is done and cleaned off, I would either fold a small piece of cloth or blue shop towel and very lightly apply the Arm-R-Seal, Drag it from the end edges and LIFT as you get to the middle. Do this from both directions. The key here is to not put any more downward pressure than is necessary to get the finish off the cloth and on the wood. MOVE QUICKLY in this process so it remains wet....you don't want it to dry as you're overlapping.
    I have also used a small (2" wide) foam brush but you have to be certain to only apply a very light coat or you will be back where you started with streaking.

This all makes it sound complicated, but is is really quite simple once you have done it a time or two.
    Good luck,

Jim

I agree with Jim's diagnosis and fix.

John

Thank you both for the advice....I am giving Jim's advice a shot and we will see what happens.

Just and update--significant improvement.

Since the area I was working with is ~1.5" x 2", I elected to scrape and then do a light sand per Jim's recommendations.

Also, following Jim's advice, I used a small foam brush to apply light coats, applying from the edges to the middle. I am getting much better results.