Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Radioactive Camera Lenses?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Fiesta dinnerware is also radioactive if it was made between 1936 and 1972.
    I love this, from the article:

There is no evidence that the people who made these dishes suffered any ill effects from exposure to the glazes, so you probably don't have a lot to worry about by just being around the dishes.

Now, keep in mind, these are the folks who were exposed to the glazes daily, sometimes for years, while the glazes are NOT cured/fired, i.e. they are not bound mechanically, so there would be lots of free floating dust from the glazes, glazes on fingers, etc.

Reading the rest of the article, it sounds like you should simply display the Fiesta Ware behind leaded glass, if you even dare to keep it in the house. The reality is, "so what?" A collector of such is more likely to die from a stress/startle induced heart attack due to dropping a piece than they are from any increased cancer risk.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

John

Wow!! U238 ore. Unbelievable!
    I have worked in the nuclear field since I was 19. First in the nuclear weapons area, and then commercial nuclear power.
    If those cups are as radioactive as they state, they're not something I would want in and around my house. We go nuts at work keeping people below the background levels of those cups.
    I never knew this.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    I have a set of green Pyrex glass mixing bowls that came from parents. When exposed to a "black light", they glow indicating that they are radioactive. This is the most common test used by collectors to make sure they are "genuine," and not fakes. Go in an antique store and if you someone shining a flash light (black light) on green glass items, this is what they are doing
    It's Vaseline glass that's radioactive Bruce
    You did what !

If those cups are as radioactive as they state, they're not something I would want in and around my house. We go nuts at work keeping people below the background levels of those cups.
    At the posted levels they would set off the gate screamers and cause the HP's to have heart attacks at Aldermaston
    You did what !

1953, just across the Strip from where the Wynn is now.

The problem here is keeping folks honest about what the dosages are, and of course the cumulative effects:

https://xkcd.com/radiation/

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    1953, just across the Strip from where the Wynn is now.
    Sure hope the prevailing winds were blowing the other way!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”