Thread: Looking for advice on worktable set up

Looking for advice on worktable set up

I have a nice new wooden work table on wheels (steel base/legs), but I have never set up a formal workshop before and I'd like advice on what to do with the mounted power tools I currently have.

I have a decent tabletop drill press, and two different bench mounted vices (one for wood and one for everything else). I have heard that some people prefer to attach these types of tools to a separate board of wood, and then clamp the board/tool combo on top of the work bench so as to avoid having to drill holes in the wood on top. Obviously this is a work bench not a piece of fine china but I have to imagine there's a good reason for not making a bunch of holes in it.

Any suggestions? I also have a benchtop belt sander, usually the weight of it keeps it from moving but idk if I should try to attach that as well.

Depends on your space limitations, but I wouldn't bolt anything down to it. I have several tools that I've mounted to 3/4" plywood, which I then clamp to a work table when needed. I think you'll find that work table real estate valuable for layout, assembly, etc.

I suppose this is a stupid question, but what kind of clamps are good for doing stuff like that? I have these smaller ones that are kinda like C-clamps; but there are so many types out there that I figured it's worth asking.

Not stupid at all. For that kind of thing, you don't need a whole lot of clamping pressure, just keeping something from sliding around. I use what are called quick clamps. The Irwin version (Quick-Grip) is sold at Lowes, etc. Also good would be an F-Clamp, quick to apply and plenty of clamping pressure for that. C-clamps are fine, but a PITA, and usually leave a mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hughes View Post
    I suppose this is a stupid question, but what kind of clamps are good for doing stuff like that? I have these smaller ones that are kinda like C-clamps; but there are so many types out there that I figured it's worth asking.
    Do you like speed, or are you comfortable with taking your time to swap tools? For speed, the Kreg auto-adjusting clamps are great. Otherwise just C-clamps or whatever cheap option fits.

I’ll second Nick’s suggestion of the Irwin quick clamps. They are relatively inexpensive and easy to use. I have a lot of the small ones that are used frequently, for exactly the use you require.

I have a decent tabletop drill press, and two different bench mounted vices (one for wood and one for everything else). {{{{SNIP}}}}I also have a bench-top belt sander, usually the weight of it keeps it from moving but idk if I should try to attach that as well.
    I have my DeWalt 734 planer and my GMC "Iron monster" bench-top drill press mounted on the same flip top roll around cart. They both weigh about 90 pounds & counter balance each other just fine.

At first, when I started setting up my shop 11 years ago, I wanted to do what you want to do. I stuck all my tools on plywood bases & built a cart to haul them around on. The cart was the same height as the worktable I also made. My plan was to store the tools on a bench, stuck alongside the wall & slide them off the shelf and onto the cart - then roll the cart to the worktable and slide them off & clamp them in place to use. I instantly changed my mind when I saw the flip top carts other people here had built & never looked back.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Install the best woodworking vise possible on the bench and use it to hold your other tools in place. Fasten a 2 x 2 across the base of each tool to be clamped in the vise.

Trade that drill press for a floor model.

If you stay with woodworking you will build a better bench in a few years. Don't rush into it.

For temporarily attaching a standard bench vise (not a woodworker's face vise), put it on a board and then use either stout F-Clamps or C-Clamps. The Quik-Grips are NOT strong enough, as you'll find if you put something in your vise and start honking on it, then wonder why your vise is moving around. If you aren't honking, then they can usually do the trick. Most times, you'll know when you're setting up the vise whether what you're about to do is likely to involve honking or not. The drill press can be board mounted and Quik-Grips will do fine for it.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.