Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reclaimed Quarter Sawn White Oak Build

Blog Entries
    Mike, several years ago an old church was selling a full room full of qs oak pews well over 100 years old, for $25 ea.
    Wish I'd grabbed all of them. They were about 12' long with no separation and over an inch thick. The end pieces were much heavier.
    I have very little left and they will go for a special piece.
    Keep an eye out for such things in your area.
    No one seemed interested because they were so crudely made.
    I think most people must buy them to restore. These were so primative they didn't seem to appeal to most.
    I halled home 2 of them in my 3/4 ton and could not have hauled a 3rd.

Bill

Blog Entries
    OMG Bill, that has to be one of the most enviable "wood gloats" ever!!!

However did you hear about this QSWO treasures being available and where do you suggest I should look for something similar???

I'm a native southern Californian but spent many years in places with local hardwoods (Boston, Toronto, N.E. Texas, etc.). It's not until we moved back to So. Cal. 10 years ago that I realized what a blessing it is to live in a place with indigenous hardwoods!!! So. Cal. is truly a desert; all the trees were brought here from somewhere else.

My neighbor in Boston had a 300 year old Cherry blow down in winter storm - must have been a lifetime supply of 16" wide great lumber - alas a city crew cut it up and carted it away, probabaly to some land fill. If i ever move back (not likely- too old to surf cold water), I would definitely buy a chain saw mill!

Every time I read a "Gloat" from one of fellow Creekers about "500 BF of hardwood from Walnut/Oak/Birch tree on their land", I am absolutely green with envy. Please include pictures for the vicarious enjoyment of your Tree/lumber deprived Creekers like Me!

Cheers, Mike

Blog Entries
    I just responded to an add in the newspaper.
    Not a very popular way to advertise in recent years.

Blog Entries
    Most went to build shelves up high for the wife to decorate, but it's there if and when I want it for a special project. I left it all the width it came.....mostly 9-15".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    OMG Bill, that has to be one of the most enviable "wood gloats" ever!!!

However did you hear about this QSWO treasures being available and where do you suggest I should look for something similar???

I'm a native southern Californian but spent many years in places with local hardwoods (Boston, Toronto, N.E. Texas, etc.). It's not until we moved back to So. Cal. 10 years ago that I realized what a blessing it is to live in a place with indigenous hardwoods!!! So. Cal. is truly a desert; all the trees were brought here from somewhere else.

My neighbor in Boston had a 300 year old Cherry blow down in winter storm - must have been a lifetime supply of 16" wide great lumber - alas a city crew cut it up and carted it away, probabaly to some land fill. If i ever move back (not likely- too old to surf cold water), I would definitely buy a chain saw mill!

Every time I read a "Gloat" from one of fellow Creekers about "500 BF of hardwood from Walnut/Oak/Birch tree on their land", I am absolutely green with envy. Please include pictures for the vicarious enjoyment of your Tree/lumber deprived Creekers like Me!

Cheers, Mike
    Pick up local add leaflets available at most businesses such as supermarkets. Usually found in the lobby between the 2 sets of doors.
    May be few and far between since most everything is being marketed at premium prices on the net nowadays.
    But, you never know.
    My mom was an avid rummage sale addict. I swear she could smell old oak furniture by driving by a sale in her car!

Cherry stories like that can stop you sleeping at night!
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Impressive piece. Did not realise that design was held together with screws!
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Blog Entries
    Great story and a wonderful piece. I think gifting it is a great idea. I do this for family as it lets me build things I want to build without worrying about where or when they will go . No need to wait for a recent storm to down a tree. You're right by Tropical Exotic Hardwoods over on Camino Vida Roble . I'm sure you've been there. For other members, here's a shot of the guys moving a slab around last time I was there.

Larry Visit (11).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler