Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paper Wasps

Paper Wasps

I get alot of paper wasps that build nests around my house and my cabin. Hate the darn things. Bought what was advertised as a wasp and hornet trap, they haven't caught a single thing yet. Does anyone know of a sure way to trap or even a spray that will keep them from building nests around my house and cabin?
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

I also bought one of those traps, with similar results. I've had better luck shooting them down with wast and hornet spray. Don't know of anything that will keep them from building nests except restricting the nest sites with screen where possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    ... I've had better luck shooting them down with wast and hornet spray. Don't know of anything that will keep them from building nests except restricting the nest sites with screen where possible.
    When I spray a nest they don't rebuild on that spot. That makes me think that if you occasionally sprayed where they might build they wouldn't.

The wasp/hornet spray is good, especially for distances. I hand some building behind a porch light fixture and grabbed a can of what turned out to be ant killer. Worked fine on the wasps.

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 06-07-2018 at 9:43 PM.

The crazy things get in by the can lights I have in the soffits at the cabin and then build nests. I've sprayed them there but don't like shooting the spray in the light fixtures.

Good to hear I'm not the only person to pay for traps that don't work.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    The crazy things get in by the can lights I have in the soffits at the cabin and then build nests. I've sprayed them there but don't like shooting the spray in the light fixtures.
    I do spray up into light fixtures on occasion (they build in the lights out at my security gate) but not when the light is on and hot. So far I can't see that it's damaged anything.

Blog Entries
    You can knock the nests down with a stream of water from the hose. They don't rebuild once you knock the first nest down. Don't try this on a really large nest.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    You can knock the nests down with a stream of water from the hose. They don't rebuild once you knock the first nest down. Don't try this on a really large nest.
    Oh, sure, take all the fun out of it!

I have tried the wasp traps that want you to put bait in the trap where the insects are supposed to enter and not find their way out. They seem to work very inefficiently for wasps and yellow jackets. I have had better success with the yellow "stick-um" traps where the insects are drawn to the yellow&green sticky surfaces and get attached.

For existing nests, I find that spray works best. While station at NAS Meridian, MS we used to find HUGE wasp nests attached to the GCA radar trailers and they became a problem when we had to rotate or move the radar due to runway changes. I was shown how gasoline thrown on the nest will kill them. The evaporation rate of gas is quick enough that the wasps fall to the ground and are dead from hypothermia before landing.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 06-08-2018 at 11:40 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    I was shown how gasoline thrown on the nest will kill them. The evaporation rate of gas is quick enough that the wasps fall to the ground and are dead from hypothermia before landing.
    Maybe a good trick for some situations, but not one to use on my home.

We have had good luck with the traps for yellow jackets, but the can only so many of the little buggers. To do it right one needs to find the nest. For me it is best to have two cans of the spray on hand just incase it is a bigger nest than can be seen. At my old residence they built a nest in a stand of pampas grass. That was exciting to get rid of that one.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Maybe a good trick for some situations, but not one to use on my home.

jtk
    I agree, I wouldn't use it on my home or my shop, for that matter. The radar trailers were a different matter.
    Ken

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I agree, I wouldn't use it on my home or my shop, for that matter. The radar trailers were a different matter.
    Maybe Jerry Lee Lewis derived inspiration from seeing a GI walk by a large nest and flicking a cigarette butt at it… Ewwee Baby Great Balls of Fire!

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Not for a home either, but carburetor cleaner works great, and is my first choice inside horse trailers. They drop instantly. Use the straw, and get a little stream.

Suspend works great to deter spiders, but I've never thought to try it for wasps. I don't remember seeing wasp nests built where I have sprayed for spiders. Suspend is non-staining too. I think I bought it off ebay.

Tractor supply sells some 2 gallon sprayers cheap enough to keep several dedicated to various things. I think they're 12 bucks normally, but go on sale for 10 fairly often. They have a pressure release valve, and the wands are easy to take off to rinse out. I keep one with soapy water to wash out the wands after use, then put it back on what it came off of, and it's ready to go whenever you need it again. So many things clog up the nozzle if left for any time.

edited to add: wasps are on the list https://www.amazon.com/Suspend-Insec.../dp/B002Y57MGE
    Last edited by Tom M King; 06-08-2018 at 4:44 PM.

I read this but - so far - I haven't had to try it...

Take a plain old brown paper bag.
    Fill it up with bunched up plastic bags.

Hang it up in the area(s) where other bees, wasps, yellow jackets, hornets usually nest.

It's supposed to deter them from making a nest there - - similar to "scare crow".
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Maybe Jerry Lee Lewis derived inspiration from seeing a GI walk by a large nest and flicking a cigarette butt at it… Ewwee Baby Great Balls of Fire!

jtk
    Jim...the nests I am talking about were often over 12" sometimes as large as 2' in diameter. I seriously wouldn't have wanted to try to attack one of those nests with the commercially available spray cans of pesticides sold today. Gasoline was readily available. Two guys, each with a cup of gasoline could do wonders on a large nest very quickly. Mississippi was my first experience of a place where it doesn't get cold enough to cause wasps and bees to hibernate. In the winter there, the wasps slowed down enough that sometimes you could swat them with your ballcap and knock them down to the floor of the step van as you waited for clearance to drive down the runway. In the summer, the same action would get you stung. The mobile radars had a jack at each corner of the radar trailer to level the trailer. At the top of the jack was a ball that pinned into a socket on the trailer. The joint worked quite similar as a hip joint except for the pin. Then you mechanically screwed the jack down until the plate made contact with the cement and began raising the trailer. Squatting down, reaching up under the trailer you couldn't see where you were putting your hand to pull out on the spring loaded pin to release the jack when you were going to move the trailer. Putting your hand into a large wasp nest was exciting at best! You felt like you were holding that "Great balls of fire"!
    Ken

Blog Entries
    You felt like you were holding that "Great balls of fire"!
    EEEEEWWWEEEE BAAABY!!!!!

jtk