Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Oneway lathes owners near Clemson, SC?

Any Oneway lathes owners near Clemson, SC?

Hi, I am hoping to see a Oneway lathe up close and was wondering if there is an owner, preferably within a 2 hr drive of me (Clemson, SC) that wouldn't mind letting me see theirs. I am in the market for a new lathe. I have seen the Powermatic 3520c and the Robust AB and am leaning towards the former and still dreaming about the latter. I also continue to wonder if the Oneway might be the perfect lathe for me, but of course I would not know that without having ever seen one. I'm thinking either the 1640 or 2036, but would be happy to see either or any. My current leaning is towards the Powermatic simply because of its lower price. It is a very nice machine and it's hard for me to justify the price difference with the AB, especially since if I were to get the AB I would probably go with the 3 hp model with the swing away tail and the 24 inch extension--about $8K total, excluding shipping. I got to see the 3HP AB a couple of weeks ago and the guy who showed it to me said his only regret was not getting the extension and strongly urged me to get it. He's a professional who turns 8 hours a day. I'm a hobbyist, who may turn 8 hours/week. Hence, the difficultly with justification. Incidentally, I was surprised when I called Oneway's 1-800 number today and the women who answered the phone said they don't keep contact info on people who purchase their lathes, or at least not anymore. She first uttered something about giving out contact information not working out well for them in the past. Strange policy on their part, as I would think many people would not spend that kind of money on anything without seeing it first. Plus there are not that many out there to see, or at least none that I know of. Anyway, I would be most grateful if someone in the area wouldn't mind giving me a look. Thanks!

Call the fellas down at Highland Woodworking in Atlanta. I think they still have a Oneway in the classroom, and if not, I'm sure they'll put you in touch with someone that does.

Alternately, Peachtree Woodworking carries new Oneways, but I'm not sure if they have a demo unit in their classroom. Worth a call at any rate - they're a couple of miles off of I-85 on the northside of town.

Thanks, Dave. I go to Highland ever chance I get--hands down the best woodworking store I have been to. I knew they sold Oneways, but never saw one in their store having never gone into the classroom(s). I will call to double-check, but thanks for the tip!

Call Greenville Woodworkers guild...they have a very active lathe group...

Bob, I live about 3 1/2 hours north of you in Cary NC. I have a 2436 Oneway. It's a great lathe. Let meknow if you want to take a road trip.
    Joe

That's interesting that Oneway couldn't find you an owner near by. When I bought my Robust they were able to find somebody about an hour away. After they got that person's permission to release their contact info, Robust forwarded it to me. Like you, I was considering all of those lathes. The thing that made me lean towards Robust was the warranty, seven years on everything. Oneway is only two years, and not on everything. Not saying Oneway isn't a good lathe, it's just that Robust seemed more confident in their equipment with that offer. Four years and counting with no issues.
    "Only a rich man can afford cheap tools, as he needs to buy them again and again"

Thanks for the offer Jason. I might take you up on it, if I cannot find one closer.

will do. thanks!

Same experience with Robust They found someone within 30 min of me.

Privacy policies for many companies prohibit them from giving out personal information (telephone number, e-mail address, mailing address, etc.) about their customers. I don't want companies that I do business with giving out my personal information. - John

Quote Originally Posted by John King View Post
    Privacy policies for many companies prohibit them from giving out personal information (telephone number, e-mail address, mailing address, etc.) about their customers. I don't want companies that I do business with giving out my personal information. - John
    Just to reiterate my response above, Robust got the owner's permission before passing on their contact info. I thought they were very respectful of that person.
    "Only a rich man can afford cheap tools, as he needs to buy them again and again"

Have you considered Vicmarc lathes?

13. Possibly oneway can't do this because they are a Canadian company and Canadian privacy laws are probably different than the US. I doubt there'd be anything stopping your local Oneway dealer from contacting one of their customers to see if they're willing to dip a demo for you.

Ditto. Robust reached out to the customer who then contacted me

I would if vicmarc had still had US distributors for their lathes, or am I wrong about that?