Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Switch Selectable Box with Two Twist-lock Receptacles

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    There is no rule mandating only one outlet on a general purpose 240 volt branch circuit.

This is almost certainly the source of the confusion. A home would rarely have a general purpose 240v circuit in it.

This certainly doesn't rule out that Doug's AHJ doesn't take a different view of the matter based on local code. I am guessing much higher than 95% of new homes in the US use NM cable for the majority of their wiring, but not in Chicago.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

The point of contention would be whether the AHJ will consider the circuit(s) to be for motor control or general purpose. Article 430 covers motor circuits and has very different requirements than for general purpose covered in Article 210 (and others). Our inspector allowed them in our shop because we showed that we had dedicated circuits for all equipment except for mobile equipment with under 5hp motors. Plus, we had multiple general 240 volt circuits to alleviate other his other concerns. I used that same methodology on my home basement and garage circuits. This is not advice, but an alternate viewpoint.