Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Memorial Plaque HELP

Memorial Plaque HELP

I was asked by the PGR to make a memorial plaque for a Fallen Soldier/LEO , I engraved it on Plexi and want to attach the plexi to a Cherry base , my thought was to screw it to the cherry base, so I lasered 4 holes in the plexi for the screws, bought some brass screws to do it with but now I really don't like the looks of the screws. Doesn't look very nice, I'd like a better finished look any ideas? oh hole size is .125 and no holes in the base yet just the plexi Thanks
    IMG_20180605_161139 (Copy).jpg
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 06-07-2018 at 9:20 AM.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

You might look at sign standoffs.

Stand-Off plaque photo - hope it helps.

BERT,
    YEA, I'm with Matt - "chrome or brass stand-offs" would seem the solution. (gonna try 'n attach a photo.) - BILL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    (Using Epilog 35W Mini 24)

whats the closest to the base stand off can I get, I'd preferably like it flush to the base if thats possible, never have even seen standoffs
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Bert
    Check the Johnson's Plastics or JDS catalogs for stand offs. Stand-offs lift the acrylic off the base. That does make the award look better than a flush mounted acrylic.jds foil.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Null; 06-07-2018 at 12:12 PM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

What about using cherry wood pegs?

Don't need standoffs, just pick up some small brass finishing washers from HD, or go online and get some ornamental washers...

And FWIW, of all the plex photo covers I've ever made for plaques, I've never used anything but brass screws and no one's ever complained or asked for something better...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Yea Kev I think I'm just gonna use the screws. I went to look for standoffs today but all the ones I found where for use on a wall not a plaque. Someone else said Chicago screws might work, I might look into that but this need to be done in 2 days .,

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Don't need standoffs, just pick up some small brass finishing washers from HD, or go online and get some ornamental washers...

And FWIW, of all the plex photo covers I've ever made for plaques, I've never used anything but brass screws and no one's ever complained or asked for something better...
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

That's why they make Chevys and Cadillacs. There is nice and then there is eye-popping.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

What about blind nuts from the front, washers in between wood and plexi and bolts from the reverse side?
    EPILOG LEGEND 32 60 WATT, CORELDRAWX5, PhotoGraV2.11, strip heater, PUNTA GORDA, FLORIDA

you can use the stand off front without the stand off just the screw

Get yourself familiar with the Metro Screw Caps from Rowmark. They are a great affordable solution for so many projects like this that can be enhanced with spacers between two or more different substrates. I cut my own spacers out of 1/4" black and clear cast acrylic. Everyone should have this type of item in their mix of fasteners.
    -
    David Takes
    Expressions Engraved
    St. Joseph, MO

They would work kinda pricey at 32$ a pack. I ended up using Brass Chicago Screws.
    IMG_20180609_115326840 (Copy).jpgThanks for all the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by David Takes View Post
    Get yourself familiar with the Metro Screw Caps from Rowmark. They are a great affordable solution for so many projects like this that can be enhanced with spacers between two or more different substrates. I cut my own spacers out of 1/4" black and clear cast acrylic. Everyone should have this type of item in their mix of fasteners.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Looks nice Bert.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Thanks Bill
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander