Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sashimono

Brian, your work is amazing as always. I've always been afraid to piston-fit so tightly - worried about seasonal changes and too tight a fit over the months... Any trouble ever with this? Is there a way to overcome it or is it only a problem in my mind?

OT: I'm in South Jersey for a while (about 20 min from Princeton) and I've discovered Willard Brothers - planning on visiting some time at the end of this week maybe. Any other suppliers you can recommend? Forgive the off-topic and let me know if this is cluttering your thread. :-)

Again, awesome.
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    I can only imagine making one.

Blog Entries
    Thanks fellas, much appreciated!

John, the piston fit in this case can be pretty carefully planned. I used Honduran mahogany, which doesn't move a whole lot and this is going to an area where, if anything the fit will loosen. Even still the piston fit is often done in a way that the sleeve actually expands away from the opening so it is very close at the top but doesn't rub along the sides. It expands only slight but enough to eliminate weird issues.

I keep probably around 20 thousands clearance, enough that seasonal change should not have much effect.

The cabinet I made a few years back, titled Hikido, has three piston fit drawers. The case expands toward the back by about 1/32", it's never stuck a drawer.

Two things must be right for it to work successfully, the opening can't change dimension with the seasons and the drawer sides can't bow. If they're slightly bowed when they're finished I will put the bellied side in toward the drawer interior.

Willard Brothers is definitely worth a visit, also Agincourt (Kevin is the owner) and Mike Quinn Lumber.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Thank you for being thorough, Brian. I understand the concept, will have to overcome my tenacity and just do it once (or more). Will check out those yards, thanks again!

EDIT: Agincourt is a bit further but Mike Quinn is almost equidistant to Willard Bros. I'm in Allentown.
    Last edited by John Kananis; 06-10-2018 at 10:13 PM.
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    My pleasure, enjoy the lumber hunting.

Blog Entries
    awesome work Brian- thanks for posting!

Blog Entries
    Thanks Mike!