Thread: hand tools in Denmark

hand tools in Denmark

So quick question. I am in Copenhagen with my wife for our anniversary. I had assumed I might be able to find some cool wood working tools here given all the woodworking tradition from this region (specifically I wanted a frame saw or a wooden plane). So far I have seen many cool historical woodworking examples but I cannot seem to find so much as a single shop that sells tools.

If anyone has been here, or lives here and has ideas please let me know.

Im sorry to say that you will not find any shop in Denmark that specialize in vintage tools. We do what they do in most countries, buy on Ebay or on Facebook... its sad.
    Best regards

Lasse Hilbrandt

But, if you cross Fune on your journey you can have a couple of wooden hand planes from me. I have a pile of them ;-)
    Best regards

Lasse Hilbrandt

I will cross Fune tomorrow, we are taking a train to Fano (or Esbjerg and then a Ferry) to visit where my wife's family came from but no stops there it looks like. Otherwise I would take you up on that.

I did visit the viking ship museum in Roskilde and see many great tools, none for sale though.

If you go to Esbjerg, and you can find the time, you really should visit the "høvlehuset" which is an hand tool museum for antiq tools. they have so much to see.
    here is a link.

http://bricksite.com/hoevlehusetengelsk
    Best regards

Lasse Hilbrandt

Perhaps if you go to the museum sort of places - they may be able to point you to places where you might find old vintage tools - such as flea markets and car boot sales...

Blog Entries

I don't think you'll find many old tools for sale over there.........they are all still being used!
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

I had kind of thought there would be current plane and handsaw makers. Europes equavalent of a LN or LV.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon SPEAKS View Post
    I had kind of thought there would be current plane and handsaw makers. Europes equavalent of a LN or LV.
    It would be nice if JPBO were still producing wooden hand planes, they made some beautiful tools. Similar to Ulmia & ECE.