Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodhaven Planing Sled - Reviews?

Blog Entries

Woodhaven Planing Sled - Reviews?

Hi All,

Title says it all. Looking for reviews on the Woodhaven Planing Sled. I'm doing a slab project (3" thick, 8 ft long, 20 inches wide out of walnut with live edges).

Curious what everyone thinks of these kits as opposed to making your own. I'm in somewhat of a time crunch, so prefer to buy over make if the tool is quality enough that I'll use it in the future. If it can't pay itself off though...

I currently take my slabs to a team that has a 16" jointer, but these boards are wider than that. I might be saving some money long term. Or maybe I just simply don't use slabs wider than 16".

I bought one but never used it. Ended up building my own. The Woodhaven was well built and would do the job, but I had an eye on bigger slabs. Still sitting on the shelf.

Blog Entries
    Thanks.

I did some more research and the sleds do look super easy to make. This time around, I'm going to be wasteful and get everything below 16" wide and send to the woodshop. Next time I will try the sled thing.

Ted, any interest in selling the Woodhaven planing sled? Thanks, Bill!

I watched a river table video recently where they have the Woodpeckers sled ("slab flattening mill")...a premium solution, but wow...very nice. But a much larger investment than the Woodhaven. The idea between either is very nice and using the aluminum rails makes for a nice setup over building a wooden one.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nixon View Post
    Ted, any interest in selling the Woodhaven planing sled? Thanks, Bill!
    Bill, I might, if I can find all the pieces. I'll see if they are within reach.

I have the Woodpecker slab flattening mill. It is a nicely built piece of equipment and does do what it says it will do.

The downsides are as follows it is a slow way to flatten a slab.

The dust collection attachment is worthless and chips get everywhere.

You will have to deal with swirl marks on the slab even with a new cutter.

I run the Milwaukee 3 hp router and it will get hot and shut down in thermal overload.

You can figure a 30 inch by 6 by slab can take a long day to flatten both sides.

You can always build your own out of wood, or metal. Mine uses 80/20 extrusions and Harbor Freight trailer jacks. I move the whole thing onto the driveway, level it off using the trailer jacks and go to town. It also doubles as a chainsaw mill. Presently good for 28" x 7'. Clean up using the leaf blower
    IMG_1452.jpg,IMG_1454(1).jpg,IMG_1419(1).jpg,IMG_1420.jpg
    Last edited by Ted Calver; 01-02-2020 at 9:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    You can always build your own out of wood, or metal. Mine uses 80/20 extrusions and Harbor Freight trailer jacks. I move the whole thing onto the driveway, level it off using the trailer jacks and go to town. It also doubles as a chainsaw mill. Presently good for 28" x 7'. Clean up using the leaf blower
    IMG_1452.jpg,IMG_1454(1).jpg,IMG_1419(1).jpg,IMG_1420.jpg
    Ted that's a nice set up ...
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Ted, that's a great idea, especially for those of us who can't accommodate a large slab option in our shops. Aside from the blowing debris, the driveway is an excellent place to do this work. For me, it's also a "hindsight is golden moment as I "shoulda" bought the 8' long CNC machine instead of the 4' long machine to be able to handle this very thing. Fortunately, one of my local lumber suppliers has a Lucas Mill setup that is routinely used for slab flattening...it was used for that big NA table I have in Woodworking Projects.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    ... Fortunately, one of my local lumber suppliers has a Lucas Mill setup that is routinely used for slab flattening...it was used for that big NA table I have in Woodworking Projects.
    That's the way to do it! No such luck around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    That's the way to do it! No such luck around here.
    Sometimes you can get lucky and get "friendly" with some local cabinet shop or other operation that has a bigger tool for those special projects. John, the owner of Bucks County Hardwoods, is like that for a number of local customers. He charges a nominal fee for the wide drum sander service I've used and a reasonable fee for slab flattening. That recent natural edge walnut table top I have in the Woodworking Projects forum couldn't have happened without having John flatten and thickness the 9' long (cut down from 11'...) by ~24" wide rough slabs for the client and I.
    --

Any recommendations on a planing bit?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Any recommendations on a planing bit?
    I use an Amana insert type bit in my CNC for this kind of work...higher cost initially, but less cost over time than replacing regular braised cutters. Leveling slabs is hard work on the cutters. Since this is still a "hand held" operations (despite the sled, etc.) I don't recommend anything over 2" in diameter. The bite can really exert some force.
    --